News:

• May 06, 2024, 06:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gary's Ugly Stiletto (But I love Her)  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Gary's Ugly Stiletto (But I love Her)
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:43:02 PM »
Hi guys,
Randy helped me reduce the size of this picture of my scratch build Stiletto. I made a lot of building errors but I still love the way she flys. I flew her before I started to finish her, wanted to see if she would fly. The Stiletto design is one of the greatest plane I've ever played with. Hat off to Mr Les McDonald, thank you for the design. The closer I get to finishing her the more errors I notice. Don't laugh to hard, this is one of my first completely scratch build planes and I've learned a lot, don't know if I'll remember what I learned???? I like to build, just not good at building. Sometimes the harder you try the worst it gets. If you don't try you'll never be able to laugh at yourself. I've seen article where planes have been stolen, with mine they would probably pay me to recover them. I guess that alright cus their mine and no one else would want them, so I guess that would make it better for me, Ha Ha. I believe I'll only have to sand her down, maybe a million more times before I go through the silkspan. I hope you get a laugh and maybe your plane will look a lot better after you see my picture. Poor Randy had to look at the picture and reduce it so I could make the rest of the group sick as well. Have a great day and If the weather let me I'm going to play tomorrow, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Gary's Ugly Stiletto (But I love Her)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »
Gary is coming along. Good flyer is better than pretty every time. Concentrate on keeping the finish light and you can improve your technique over time.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
Hi guys,

Here is a picture of my ugly stiletto, I hope you can see the picture. I still have a lot of work to do on her but for an amateur, maybe okay!!!! Have a great day and don't hurt yourself laughing, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:10:15 PM »
Looks good Gary. I like the Stiletto myself, Aren't the canopy normally up front?
Terry

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:50:41 PM »
Looks good Gary. I like the Stiletto myself, Aren't the canopy normally up front?
Terry

Hi Terry,

Thats correct, if you notice the top you can see how much farther the canopy should have been. I never can leave things alone, I have to change, just me, can't help it. Actually if you check the plane out carefully you would find that the wing is different, its a little thicker than Mr. Les's wing. Each rib was made off of a cad program and sized, which makes it a little different. The fuse is real close to the print. The elevator, stab area is a little different. I didn't know when I was building her that the stab and elevator needed a 1/4" added to the stab and elevator to fly better but the program my son was using to help design the plane told us it needed a little more length???? Don't remember but I believe its about 2" in length. After hearing the changes that needed to be done to the stab area. I was worried that the program could have been misleading. When I finished covering and enough coats of dope on her I took her out for a spin. I think she the greatest thing since cotton candy. I wish that I did more research before I build her. I'm very proud of her, of coarse she nothing like what Randy and the great builder out here do but shes mine and I love her and many thanks to Mr. Les McDonald for his creation. My Stiletto is a complete scratch build including control horns, bellcrank, tank. I didn't build the great Merco that will live in her, Mr. Frank Bowman is the man that rebuild that engine for her. (I lied, I bought the canopy, Sorry.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 01:52:36 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 12:24:10 AM »
I always kinda liked those Wing Mfg. canopies.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »
Plane looks great to me.  Hope it flies as well.  Hope we never have to list all the items we did not make for our creations like they do in scale.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »
I like it Gary
Matt Colan

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:50:17 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments. I shot a coat of the dupli-color, paint shop, clear, #BSP300 clear coat on the engine cowl. I'm not sure I will use this product, seems soft. I e-mailed Randy about this product, waiting for his reply. The product seems to bring out a nice gloss. Have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 12:31:17 AM »
Hi guys,

Well, I add some color to the stab/elevator area. This is a very simple color scheme but man it kicks my backside. I need to do the panel lines and change some of the pin stripe areas. The clear coat I have for her isn't a very good product for our toys. (Not fuel proof!!) The clear coat makes her shine but probably wouldn't last very long, so I'll have to wait another month to get the proper product. No hurry, windy and around seventy degrees. I would love to go to the contest in Oregon and meet all the great people on this forum but not able to go this year. I believe Norm, Brian and Walter is planning on going and I'm sure they will give us reports. I enjoyed several of the fliers that came to our field a day early when the Golden State Contest was held. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to meet Randy and the rest of the group. Have a great day, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 06:40:45 PM »
Hi guys,

I tried to put some checker squares on her to see how they would look. Not sure I like them, I need to clean up around the checkers and maybe install a boarder around the back to show off the squares a little more. I'm just having fun and trying different things on my Stiletto, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:01:01 AM »
How are you doing the checkers?  Sparky had a very novel way of doing them on his P-47.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:44:46 AM »
How are you doing the checkers?  Sparky had a very novel way of doing them on his P-47.  DOC Holliday
Hi John,

Don't know if I'm doing them the correct way. I just took the area and divided it and lucky I ended up that 3/4" would work for me. I used the 1/16" vinyl tape and I thought it would look okay to follow the curve so I had to lay out my measurement on all three different areas. I think the checkers would have looked better if I had the silver pin stripe. I wasn't planning on putting the checkers on the plane but she needs something on the white area???? Next plane I'll probably do the checker lay out when the base color is down. That would mean I'll have to paint all the squares!!! It was fun doing  because to cover up the squares that wasn't going to get painted was fun because I had to make a pattern to cut the cover up tape. I like to do lay out, thats what I've done most of my life is lay out. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to paint a decent paint job. Its like Randy told me you have to give up at some point or it will never end. I only have three wing to go with the checkers, ha ha. Then maybe I'll give up and start the clear coat process????? Thanks for your input, I hope people aren't getting tired of looking at this thread, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I believe I'm almost ready for the clear coat. I'm thinking about putting the same decal on the inboard wing? I have to finish the pants and I believe we'll be done with my baby. (I have to install the proper wheels also.)  I'm using a Merco Engine, so I could make a Merco decal??? I'm not very good at doing panel lines but I tried to install some on her. I was going to use Randy's Cobra Girl on the inboard wing but my better half, said I don't think that plane will live very long with that picture!!!! So, no Cobra Girl, darn darn. I guess next week I'll start the trim on her, again. Maybe won't take much, didn't when I flew her before but things can change. She looks clean, nothing like the rest of the great painters out here but I love her and I hope I'll get my monies worth out of her. The first flight would be the full investment each flight after she'll get to be a cheaper ride, ha ha. Thanks for all the input and putting up with my toy, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 06:57:04 PM »
Hey Gary; That plane sure looks familiar! Oh yea, I fly with you! Love it, it looks and flys great! Just hope my Trohpy Trainer looks/flys half as well.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »
Hey Gary; That plane sure looks familiar! Oh yea, I fly with you! Love it, it looks and flys great! Just hope my Trohpy Trainer looks/flys half as well.

Brian
Hi Brian,

You're doing a great job on your plane, I'm looking forward to see you fly her. I hope you can get the silk to work out. Silk is tough material and can be hard to work with. Have you decide on a color scheme?? You know you're welcome to use my miller touch up gun, if you want. The little gun does a great job and fun to work with. The spray rig uses dope size containers and put down a nice pattern. Gary (Don't forget to install the tab on the top of the fuse to save needle valves)
Gary Anderson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 08:23:04 PM »
So Gary, after all the finishing stuff, how does it fly? You had said you got a couple of flights on it before you finished it, but didn't really say if it went well.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
Oh Yea; save the needle valve! If I could just keep running when upside down, that would help.  :)
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 11:52:50 PM »
So Gary, after all the finishing stuff, how does it fly? You had said you got a couple of flights on it before you finished it, but didn't really say if it went well.
Hi Randy,

She's a real dream, even the wind doesn't seem to bother her. Mr. Walter Hicks flew her for me and told me I have the real thing. Most of you great fliers and builders have flown planes of this nature, this is a first for me. I believe the plane makes me look better. It turns nice corners, no wiggles, just turns with grace and like I heard Mr. Randy Powell say, what a ride. I ended up with the Super Tigre 60 for a power plant. Each engine I tried loved the plane but my super tigre 60 (stock) with the stock muffler is a nice combo. The double star 61 worked out very well also but I needed a little more weigh in the nose and the tigre did the trick. The Merco 61 and 49 worked out well also but they seem to leak some fuel from the front bearing and I got used to the double star and my tigre not leaking. I got around thirty or more fliights on her and I love going to the field with her. I need to clean her up and dosomemore clear coat. I only shot a light coat to help protect the color and now its time to give up and finish her. After you fly a ship that will do every maneuvers with grace you can see why the experts work so hard getting their planes trimmed. Thank you for all your help Randy, I appreciate you taking your time to help us that need the guidance                  Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 08:10:17 AM »
Another coat of clear is going to change the balance point.  Glad to hear it is working for you.  Isn't it great to fly a plane that gives you confidence?  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 12:04:21 AM »
Hi guys,

I finally finish building my playhouse, so now its time to finish the Stiletto. Big question!!! has anyone used Napa's Acme Finish/1 Clear coat paint? Its a two part paint, mixture is 4 to 1. Norm Gayer used it and it seems to be okay, of coarse Norm always does a great job on his toys. Being a two part paint it seems to get good and hard just wonder if it will stand up under fuel and good old sun. I would appreciate any input, Gary ( I would like to get her finished for the Golden State Contest but I'm still having a lot of fun with the good old tutor.) Hey Michael, Brian getting really good, so I hope ya being getting a lot of practice, Ha Ha
Gary Anderson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here