News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:34:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Found my stash of dope  (Read 879 times)

Offline Miotch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Found my stash of dope
« on: May 03, 2023, 07:26:55 AM »
Getting ready to paint the biplane and was thinking about using Rustoleum because I'm still dedicated to building this without spending any money.  So, I was looking through the shed yesterday and ran across my stash of dope.  I think this will be enough white for the basecoat.  It's forever-shrinking Supercoat, but I used Polycrylic, so the silkspan isn't quite as tight as it normally is anyway.  Ten years from now, I may have wished I spent money on something else.  But it's rare a plane of mine survives my piloting skills that long.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Found my stash of dope
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 07:55:09 AM »
...  It's forever-shrinking Supercoat, ...

I really wonder what Glen Sig was thinking with the brand names.

Litecoat is clear, and non-tautening to the extent that dope ever is non-tautening.

Supercoat clear is tautening.

Supercoat colors are non-tautening.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 10:01:28 AM »

Litecoat is clear, and non-tautening to the extent that dope ever is non-tautening.

Wow !!  Thanks for that info.  I had no earthly idea.  Well, wife is out of town for a week and I have this, thinner, a compressor and hvlp gun ready.  Unfortunately, I have that pesky step of "sanding" to do on a lot of the plane.  This is the point where I realize I'll never have a 20 pointer.  Or a 2 pointer.  I lose patience about this point.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 10:57:25 AM »

In talking with Gretz and the others at SIG, and as per their catalogs, all SIG colors were mixed with a low shrink base. That has been my experience with it. As a hedge against shrinking , Dave Brown still produces Flex-All but you have to purchase it direct. Or you can try the old fashion method of putting a table spoon of medicinal castor oil in a quart of thinned dope as a plasticizer. A chemical called TCP, tri-cesel-phosphate I think it is, is what manufacturers use but it's whicked stuff and don't know how easy it is to get.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here