News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:54:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (done)  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (Pics (in prime)
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2010, 06:59:07 AM »
>>I am now coming up with a different paint scheme to keep the weight down.<<

Matt,

Now you know why I ended up with the paint scheme I did on my last PA plane. All I could think of was, where can I cut weight.

I sometimes think it's worse the other way. The Silver Slider I built was ridiculous light before finish. so I did worry too much about how much paint I was putting on. Big mistake. I ended up probably 8 oz overweight. Maybe it's a good thing, worrying about weight, when you are finishing.

yeah, I know.  The Ares I was worried about weight and did a 5 ounce finish, went from 37 to 42 ready to fly.  I came up with an idea when I was in bed half asleep, was to mix some gold into the silver, I think that would look kind of cool, or maybe a bronze.  Then I would have to see, what trim colors cover and somewhat go with one of those colors.

I really don't know how it got that heavy, because really there is not that much paint on it???

Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (Pics (in prime)
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »
Today, we took about 2 ounces off the airplane, and then sprayed on a very thin, just enough to cover coat of silver, and it is now my base color.  Starting tomorrow I'm going to start masking out the paint scheme, which will be a bit of a combination between Windy's Big Job, Derek Barry's red evolution, and some ideas of my own.

Here is a pic.  The plane doesn't look to shabby, definitely not a 20 pointer, but will be my best looking plane when finished!

Edit:  projected weight with carbon fiber strut should be somewhere around 54-55 ounces.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:01:13 PM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (base color(2/28)
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
Matt, I highly recommend you spray a light coat of clear over the silver befoe you try to mask it. Silver is pretty fragile and the clear will act as a binder holding it all together. Also use a heat gun when removing masking, it'll save a pile of heartache, especially with the silver.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2010, 07:30:43 PM »
Matt...I'd suggest losing the wheel pants plot and get yourself (or make) a CF landing gear! I just weighed the one off my Skylark (very close to the size of your O+).  It weighs 2.6 oz with 2" wheels (kinda wide ones, maybe Brodak) with 6-32 buttonhead axles. Better for grass, anyway...  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »
Matt...I'd suggest losing the wheel pants plot and get yourself (or make) a CF landing gear! I just weighed the one off my Skylark (very close to the size of your O+).  It weighs 2.6 oz with 2" wheels (kinda wide ones, maybe Brodak) with 6-32 buttonhead axles. Better for grass, anyway...  y1 Steve

Steve,

I was going to talk to Windy about getting carbon fiber landing gear when he got back from VSC.  I was looking to see if he could make a mold of my aluminm wheelpants so that I could save a bunch of weight.

I have no clue how to make carbon fiber landing gear so that option is eliminated.

Matt Colan

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=7867.msg67393#msg67393 ...a good thread on the subject of CF molding. There is a picture of a Dan Winship LG mold...also google his website, as there are some tutorials on it that will be useful.

Bruce Perry once posted a pic of his "humpty" LG mold that looked like a pile of plywood bits...but worked. I can't find it to attach. I don't know of a commercially available CF LG with a hump for a pipe manifold. In the thread above, note the post suggesting "CST"...good folks, with lots of know-how and I think some tutorials on their site. It's a good way to get just what you want, and it would be a learning experience! I worked in the Mock-Up fiberglass shop at Boeing in '65, so I'm not inexperienced with making molds and layup, but haven't tried CF yet. I'm sure it's a bit different, but I'd bet that Windy would have at least one video that would show all about how to do it.  Howard would give good advise, I'm sure.  Ask him about his axles...yikes!

Nice weather today...did another crappy square vertical 8, getting ready for the new optional bonus maneuver pattern...  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2010, 06:20:45 AM »
Ok, last night, I only had time to spray one wing panel in red, since I ate dinner late.  No silver was pulled up when I pulled the tape off.

Windy sure wasn't kidding when he says red will cover in 1 coat over a silver base.  This is the first time we have experienced red cover so well, (only had one other experience and it wasn't a good one), so here are 3 pictures from last night!

Matt Colan

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (some trim on it)
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2010, 07:24:38 AM »
Hey Matt She's lookin real good !!
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2010, 08:16:04 AM »
Hey Matt She's lookin real good !!

Thanks Steve,

I'm hoping to have the rest of the red masked off today.  The black will have to wait until the weekend since I head back to school tomorrow
Matt Colan

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
Thanks Steve,

I'm hoping to have the rest of the red masked off today.  The black will have to wait until the weekend since I head back to school tomorrow

It's always when you get tot the good stuff school happens to pop up! lol Im probly going to be at flushing this year with an arf since school is kickin my butt and now that i'll be attending Nassau Fire Academy starting the 16th I'll be lucky if i can get a chance to pick up a stunt news let alone an #11. I did figure out how to take the train from my house in the morning to flushing to get a good day of flying in the hop back on the train and report to my firehouse for a night shift in only a quick 36 stops on the subway LOL.
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2010, 12:15:50 PM »
Lookin' really good Matt, hope your luck with the silver holds!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
Matt - looking good so far, hope to see it all finished soon
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2010, 04:43:01 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys!  Randy, up until I pulled the tape off today, I had good luck with the silver, two small little spots on the flaps pulled, a quick touch up is all that is needed.

I spent 6 hours masking the plane out for a 10 minute spray job (one coat of red is all that is needed to cover over silver, it even covered in one coat on my face, no clue how paint go there  :P).

Here are three pictures with the red on.  I can't do anything until Friday since I return to school tomorrow, but at least I will have something to look foward to
Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Yes making does take time.  I want to know where your safety glasses are?  But, I won't tell OSHA on you.  Plane is looking great so far.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »
Tony,
Glad to hear that you are attending the Fire Academy. I know that it has been your goal.

Matt,
Looking good. Keep up the good work. You have been a very good student of your grandpa.
AMA 7544

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »
Thanks again guys!  I don't know how much I'm going to get done this weekend because Saturday, I'm planning to go to the state championship game since our varsity team is in the game.  And Sunday is, so far shaping up to be a possible...
FLYING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  #^ #^ #^ #^
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
Matt...You need a CF landing gear. If you don't want to buy one from Randy Aero or Windy Aero, I have Windy's way of rolling your own, in a PDF.  I tried to post it, but the file size is over 1,000kb, so it won't upload.  Czech your email!  :-[  Steve

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »
Matt...You need a CF landing gear. If you don't want to buy one from Randy Aero or Windy Aero, I have Windy's way of rolling your own, in a PDF.  I tried to post it, but the file size is over 1,000kb, so it won't upload.  Czech your email!  :-[  Steve

Steve,

I plan to get a set of CF landing gear from Windy when he gets back from VSC.  I'm going to see if he can make a mold of the aluminum landing gear I got now and make a set of CF gear out of that  (we'll see when I talk to him)...

Oh yeah thanks for the email!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:00:41 PM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2010, 06:16:06 AM »
Matt, Matt, Matt. You are young and we want you to live a lonnnggg time. So PLEASE wear a mask for painting, one that keeps out the fumes of the thinner as well as the paint particles.  Your lungs and taste  buds, liver and brain will thank you later on. Trust lme on this. Nuff said. y1 D>K  They are available at Sears for one.

Ty, I do use a mask.  When I use the big spray gun, I wear a full respriator.  When I use an airbrush, I use a dust mask.  If you look at some of the earlier pictures, I am wearing a dust mask since I'm using an airbrush.  When I spray on clear with the big auto touch up gun, or the silver, I used a full respirator.

By the way last night, I sprayed on one wing panel of the black, and it came out ok, but that is probably all I'm going to get done this weekend, unless after our planned couple flights on Sunday, I can get something done, who knows, the future is yet unseen.

Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »
Here it is with one wing panel of black that I painted on Friday, touched up and resprayed tonight, so here is two pics!

Matt Colan

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (more trim)
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
Lookin pretty darngood there Matt,
I love the fact that you are enjoying this process,, makes me all warm and fuzzy,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
Matt,

Looks good so far. So, are you planning on backmasking all the trim to shoot on the base color (white, I think you said), or are you deciding to go with silver as the base color?

I like it so far. Remind me, how are you powering it?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
Matt,

Looks good so far. So, are you planning on backmasking all the trim to shoot on the base color (white, I think you said), or are you deciding to go with silver as the base color?

I like it so far. Remind me, how are you powering it?

I decided to stick with the silver as the base color just to save weight, and it looks good in silver.  I'm powering it with a PA 40UL on a pipe.
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »
Today, I finished putting the black trim on the wings, and got a few sheets of decal paper so I can print out the graphics I made for it.  And I now know when I fly the airplane at  contests, I'll have a matching shirt!  I made one yesterday during a confirmation retreat (it was supposed to have something to do with religion).  Basically I hand drew the airplane, and put the trim on from memory with some fabric markers.

It's getting there.  I'll post a pic when I have the rest of the trim on the airplane H^^
Matt Colan

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:09 AM »
I think the Confirmation was a Ted Fancher airplane. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »
I think the Confirmation was a Ted Fancher airplane. 

LL~ LL~ ;D ::) >:D
Matt Colan

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
Doesn't look much like the sketches I saw ???..............of course it still looks good.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2010, 06:14:52 AM »
Doesn't look much like the sketches I saw ???..............of course it still looks good.

I know Greg.  I think the plane is overweight, so I wanted to change the paint scheme to hopefully get rid of some weight by putting less paint on, so I stuck with the silver as the base color instead of planning to paint white over that, then painting on the trim.  I felt like it was going to be just to much paint and add to much weight, so I changed the paint scheme to save weight.

I'm hoping to maybe get the rest of the trim painted on today, which I'll post pics.

Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »
I got the rest of the trim on today, but didn't have time to pull the tape off because I had to get home for Dinner.  I gave grandpa the task of pulling the tape off and shooting pictures.  I told him he gets extra credit for putting the way to heavy landing gear on and shooting some pictures on the rug.  I also gave him the extremely hard task of emailing pictures to me to so I can post them  ;D
Matt Colan

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2010, 03:13:24 AM »
Well,

With his experimental weight addition to a Tucker Special, Ted Fancher along with Brett, I think?  Proved that adding weight is not necessarily a bad thing!   D>K

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2010, 04:37:16 PM »
Well,

With his experimental weight addition to a Tucker Special, Ted Fancher along with Brett, I think?  Proved that adding weight is not necessarily a bad thing!   D>K

Jim Pollock   H^^

maybe it's not a bad thing, but it is all in one area, which could affect, and probably will affect the vertical cg of the airplane, which is also another reason why I would like CF landing gear.  H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
Well,

Jim Pollock   H^^
As I recall, this situation was a result of the airplane not having enough line tension to impart control deflection . My understading was that by adding weight, they were able to get enough control deflection because of the higher tension, wheras before, the force required to deflect the surfaces was greater than the amount available from line tension . The Netzband wall effect
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
Here is is with the rest of the paint on.  After spending about 10 minutes on the phone, I finally talked talked grandpa through attaching the picture on the email.

Here it is  H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (painted)
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2010, 06:27:48 AM »
Last night I put the thing together and took some pictures on the rug.  I did finish all the touching up that was needed, and today the decals and hopefully a coat of clear.

Here's some pics of the plane
Matt Colan

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
Here are some more pictures, today we got the decals on, and they came out great!!!!!!!!  Also got 2 coats of clear on!

Matt Colan

Eric Viglione

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
That's gonna be one sweet ride Matt! Bet you can't wait to fly her. Great work!
EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
Looks very nice, Matt. Should be a killer.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2010, 05:52:11 AM »
Beautiful job Matt. The silver-red combination looks really great. Well chosen fonts too.
It'll look gorgeous when finished with the clear on.
Your improvements with every ship you build are evident.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Claudio.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2010, 07:09:43 PM »
Thanks guys!!!!!  I'm really hoping this plane will be a killer flier!

I have noticed my quality in building skills have gone up with every plane I've built.  I'm hoping my Cobra will look even better than this one, as I've learned a lot about getting a FLAT surface H^^
Matt Colan

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2010, 09:19:35 PM »
You're doing better than I could do at three times your age.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2010, 12:07:19 PM »
>>I have noticed my quality in building skills have gone up with every plane I've built.<<

We all hope that. I still get better with each plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2010, 01:00:31 PM »
>>I have noticed my quality in building skills have gone up with every plane I've built.<<

We all hope that. I still get better with each plane.

Same here, there's always the one (maybe more) thing(s) you could have done better.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2010, 02:06:12 PM »
Yeah, this one definitely has a couple things I could do better on.  This was the first time I sheeted a foam wing, and there were ridges in between the sheeting.  Don't know how they got there, especially since grandpa helped me and showed me how to sheet a wing?  The ridges were eventually covered up in the primer and silver so you can't see them anymore.

Silver is an extremely difficult color to work with.  In the future, I may use the silver just to find the flaws, but probably not as a base color.  Two spots were pulled up when I pulled the tape off, but that wasn't a big deal, it's just hard to get right (if you look real close, you can see some of the silver lifted, but didn't pull off the paint).

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:14:13 PM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:08 PM »
"(if you look real close, you can see some of the silver lifted, but didn't pull off the paint)."

Heat Matt, a little heat, a thin coat of clear before taping trim helps too.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2010, 04:44:57 PM »
"(if you look real close, you can see some of the silver lifted, but didn't pull off the paint)."

Heat Matt, a little heat, a thin coat of clear before taping trim helps too.

Yeah, if I use silver again, I will do that.  Every other plane I've painted there hasn't been any problem whatsoever in pulling up the paint, probably because I've used gray as a base, and not silver.  I do think silver looks better, it is just hard to work with, well it's all a learning experience.

Matt Colan

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
Yeah, if I use silver again, I will do that.  Every other plane I've painted there hasn't been any problem whatsoever in pulling up the paint, probably because I've used gray as a base, and not silver.  I do think silver looks better, it is just hard to work with, well it's all a learning experience.

It'll still be a learning experience when your 60 Matt, but it's a great one.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »

It'll still be a learning experience when your 60 Matt, but it's a great one.

It definitely is.  I remember  I used to think my profile looked good.  Of course that was my first kit build, then came my second Smoothie, then the Ares, and now the Oriental Plus.  Each has gotten better, so the Cobra should also be better than the oriental Plus.

Edit:  At least it is a fun learning experience.

Matt Colan

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2010, 06:57:44 AM »
Matt, Randy,

Guys don't get too obsessed with weight!  Ted and Brett added 8 ounces to a Tucker Special and it actually flew a lot better than when it was lighter.  Just keep them as light as possible and don't worry about it!  n1

Jim Pollock   y1   

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
Matt, Randy,

Guys don't get too obsessed with weight!  Ted and Brett added 8 ounces to a Tucker Special and it actually flew a lot better than when it was lighter.  Just keep them as light as possible and don't worry about it!  n1

Jim Pollock   y1   

Well, the aluminum landing gear weighs 2+ ounces, and since I have a pipe setup, I don't want the vertical cg too much, so I bought a set of CF landing gear from Windy, which weighs an ounce.  The plane should come in around 55 ounces with the new CF landing gear.  55 is acceptable, but I wanted it to weigh 48, so that is why I think the plane is on the overweight side.  I emailed Dee Rice, and he said that weight will be fine, so my views on the weight have changed...

Matt Colan

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:41 PM »
Matt,
Like I have come to the point on the Avenger,, it weighs, exactly as much as it weighs, and I wont worry about it till I fly it, then decide how heavy it is. I was a lot more worried about it till I found out that the original tested its gear a bit more than I thought it did,, Now that I was told how much it might have weighed,, well Im ok,, and looking forard to test flights. I have about 6 or 7 new props all adjusted and balanced, and tweaked for testing,, now just need weather,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here