News:

• May 13, 2024, 03:34:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing my Profile Zero  (Read 872 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Finishing my Profile Zero
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
Hi Mr. Powell,

Hi Randy, I was just trying to be proper, never could get it correct!!!!! Anyway, I got in a hurry to finish my zero, know better but did it anyway. Remember the old sayin, PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER, well here I am paying later. When I shot the silver coat is when the river began, now its fill sand, fill sand. Its okay I'm used to making a mess out of my planes, (THIS WAY NO ONE WANTS TO STEAL THEM OR EVEN FLY THEM), sounds like a good reason. Thank God and Greyhound for the good old red glazing compound and yes ya have to spread it on and sand all of it off until all the nice big rivers go away. The good part it only takes a few minutes to spread the glazing compound on and several hours to sand it off. Most like to place silkspan over bare wood, I like to play around for many hours filling and sanding. When I use silkspan on bare wood I've sanded through it and that can be a mess. Mr. /////// says to sand in one direction only but I usually sand in a circular motion using  different size blocks, if I just use my fingers only I end up with a bigger mess than I started with. After wasting a million coats of clear, cause I've sanded 99.99 per cent of it off. It starts to look like maybe it might work. I'm sure most guys don't make this big of a mess but daddy told me I couldn't never do anything right. I tried being a pipefitter, plumber, welder, boiler maker and a few other dumb things and figured out it was better to retire and let someone that know ed what they was adoing to do it. So here I am filling and sanding and a laughin, Gary (Yes, they even pay me not to do all the things I used to do!!!!)
Gary Anderson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Finishing my Profile Zero
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »
Gary,

Only comment is, watch out for the red glazing compound. The stuff will sink and shrink forever. Better to use catalyzed glazing compound like Dolphin Glaze or Evercoat. The stuff goes off and that's it. And it sands very easily.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:21:15 AM »
I gotta back Randy up on that red galzing comp0ound, its laquer, and it will dry forever, especially if there is much left on the plane,,
of course if your putting it over open bays,, you might be  a lot better off using talk and dope,,
Or just enjoy the fact that your building up your flying arm by all this sanding so you can do LOTs of practicing without getting tired,,, H^^
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:20 AM »
Hi Stunt Hanger,

Thank you for giving me this great gift. I did the best I could, just had too many errors in the ball game. The plane flys very well and I'm enjoying playing with her. I still have a few trim issues but we have had to much wind. I took her out for a spin today and only put one flight on her, still to much wind. I used the product Koverall on the wings and I will use this product again, worked great for me, covered well and I like it. I used dope to seal the koverall down and filled mostly with dope. I wanted to paint the plane with K&B Epoxy. I used the older type epoxy before and it worked great. This product is the newer type K&B Ultra Epoxy and this product is a little different than the older product. The first time ever I used the K&B Primer, great stuff, sanded very well and smooth. When I sprayed the first coat on I was very happy with my progress. I wanted to trim the plane and that's when I ran into problems. I guess I didn't do my base coat correctly cause as you can see some of the base coat pulled up when I removed the mask. There is about two months between the dope and the epoxy, I was sure the dope had gassed off. Oh well, I'm sorry I didn't do a better job to show my appreciation to Stunt Hanger but I still love her and thank you. I will remember this great gift while flying her, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:15:24 AM »
I think it looks great !! I have a Hawker Sea Hurricane which I could have done better on, BUT like yours it flys great and I Love it. That's all that counts  y1 y1 y1
Congratulations again and enjoy.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
I like it, the color scheme.  It is bad when the mask doesn' come off like it is supposed to.  You should see my Accentor where the tape took the finish all the way to base coat.  First plane I really had that happen.  Glad she is flying good which means you should get a lot of flights out of her. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here