News:

• April 17, 2024, 07:32:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rounded full body with span  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Rounded full body with span
« on: September 02, 2021, 06:24:26 AM »
Can someone point me to a video for applying silkspan, polyspan or silk to a fuselage
lots of videos on wings  need a video for the FUSELAGE
thanks
Fred Quedenfeld

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rounded full body with span
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »
I can't point you to a video, but for silkspan, silk, or tissue, put it on wet.  Obviously, this means that (A) you have to have doped the fuselage (but you did that anyway), and (B) whatever you're using needs significant wet strength (so, you're fine for everything except some brands of tissue).  Putting it on wet will help it go over compound curvatures much, much better.  I do this with a spray bottle of water handy, so I can take my time and not worry about things getting dried out.

I haven't used polyspan, so I can't comment other than it sounds like you can coach it around a curve with heat.  So those monocoat skills won't be completely wasted.

Cover as big an area as you can with each piece of material.  For silkspan or tissue, I like to rip the edge where pieces overlap -- this makes a less well defined ridge when it comes time to cover your sins with dope.  I think the principle is the same with polyspan and for silk -- I dunno!  It's always been out of my price range.  Pinking shears?

Tack the edges of the piece down with dope, and for everything but polyspan, it'll shrink as it dries and smooth itself against the surface of the fuselage.  If it doesn't, and it's just a little bit not-tight, sometimes you can re-wet it and it'll dry down to what it's supposed to.  Sometimes not -- then you just shed a tear or two and rip it off and start over.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 06:48:49 PM »

You apply it the same as you would on a wing, except you're doing it on the fuselage.  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 04:32:52 PM »
Humble question from "Advocatus Diaboli" connecting to this topic:
Why don't use some light glass instead of silk, etc. ?
Light glass is far most builder-friendly covering material which ever I worked with during my 53 years long ukie aerobatic career.
And no, nobody is obliged to use some expensive, exotic, aerospace-origined epoxy resin, to work it on, the usual dope (even filled with some talc) is quite proper for brilliant surface. It is sandable with dry, or wet automotive paper, grade 320-1200...
Source? For e.g. 18 grams / sqm  (1/2 oz/sqyd )
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264409010006 
Istvan

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 02:33:26 AM »
If you have the full size plans for the model you want to cover, you can lay the silkspan over the plans, mark the wing cutout, stab cutout and then trace the fuse shape using a black Sharpy, leaving a couple  extra inches of material. You will need an inboard and outboard side. i like to mark the covering with I/B or O/B, depending on which side is the smooth or rough side of the silkspan. You dont want to make 2 of the same side. After you've cut the sides, you can cut out the top and bottom, making sure you put the smooth side of the silkspan UP.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »
Fred, 1st I use light weight silkspan on the Fuse. The Grain of the silkspan goes parallel to the Fuse. I find the shiny side by running my thumb and forefinger over it. Dont worry alot about seams, do your best to keep the overlap small. They WILL DISAPPEAR with further coats and sanding. Make sure you have at least 5 coats of 50/50 Sig Lite Cote on the wood and sanded smooth. wet the silkspan with a spray bottle of water or windex. Make  sure EVERY SQUARE INCH IS COVERED. Tear pieces of silk span with your hands to make patches, no scissors.
 You only need to pull silkspan tight on open bay wings. For the fuse just lay it down over the wing cut out, and drape the damp silkspan on the fuse from the middle out to the nose and tail.  Anything else just ask! 😁 Good luck! You can do it!
Kevin King.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
More: Since you are dealing with more curves on your fuse, if a crease in the silkspan wont conform I would then slit the crease with a new razor and pinch & tear off the sharp edge with my fingers. You dont want any wrinkles, creases or air pockets.

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 05:36:25 PM »
Here is Sparkies video

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here