News:

• April 17, 2024, 11:05:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing Epoxy Resin vs. Primer filler which is heavier?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Finishing Epoxy Resin vs. Primer filler which is heavier?
« on: February 24, 2022, 03:19:43 PM »
Guys,
I'm getting ready to do a top block and have carved and shaped it from pink foam. The pink foam is very light, carvers well (you need to use a very shape knife to slice smoothly to remove chips) and sands nice (if you don't overheat it in one place). The fuse is balsa sides and bottom with cross bracing on the top under the block for stiffness. The block is there just to give it shape. The plan is to cover it with 1oz/yd^2 fiberglass cloth using finishing resin. The question is do I wrap the whole fuse and give it one coat of resin then final fill with primer or two coats of finishing resin? Anyone know what is lighter? Could also use polyester resin if it is lighter.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Finishing Epoxy Resin vs. Primer filler which is heavier?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 03:30:34 PM »
Istvan covered his blue foam plane in this fashion.
Apply a thinned first coat to the foam and wood. Allow to dry and lightly sand.  Then apply another coat of resin and apply the fibreglass. Sand and paint.

I have been finishing my balsa models this way. Sand down to 400. Apply 1/2oz cloth with thinned finishing resin. Lightly Sand. Spray with primer and sand off. Paint your colours.

I would finishing the whole plane in fibreglass, no dope.

All the best.
Craig
Ps. Finishing this way us courtesy of Philly Skip👍
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 05:06:07 PM »
Maybe the white glue/CF or light glass?

Best,  DennisT

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 03:49:05 PM »
Craig,
If you tried your resin/paint/coat on blue or pink foam if it is harmful, or not,
if not harmful, please, let us know its brandname.
It would be common interest, since I can advise only the CIBA/Huntsman Araldite LY-5052 with its hardener.
It is coming from the aerospace industry, pretty expensive, and I am not sure, if it is obtainable in small quantities. 
Istvan

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 05:36:30 PM »
That is a fair question Istvan.

I have only used Zap and Bob Smith finishing resin on balsa and blue foam, at this stage. No issues so far, but blue foam stabiliser and elevators only.

You are correct, LY-5052 is expensive and not readily available in, "Trial", quantities.

I am going to trial West systems 105 with H206 hardener in the next months.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 01:34:11 PM »
Motorman,
It sounds nice!
Did you experience, is this Minivax Polycrylic methanol-resistant after drying/hardening?
If is, this material is the "Holy Grail" for me, since I never-ever found any water based paint/lacquer etc. being fully methanol-resistant.
And I do not want to turn on electric...
Istvan
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 03:21:05 PM by Istvan Travnik »

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »
I'm crying,
Just like John Lennon, when he was the "Walrus"... :)
Istvan
(All the coats must be methanol-resistant, since the vapour of it can diffund thru the top coat, and from inside begins to destroy the painted system. No mercy. Naturally it begins not in days or weeks, but within 1-2-3 years... )
Istvan

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 05:45:31 PM »
I'm crying,
Just like John Lennon, when he was the "Walrus"... :)
Istvan
(All the coats must be methanol-resistant, since the vapour of it can diffund thru the top coat, and from inside begins to destroy the painted system. No mercy. Naturally it begins not in days or weeks, but within 1-2-3 years... )
Istvan

I know everyone likes "light."

Block under coatings with a two part auto primer.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here