News:

• May 17, 2024, 06:56:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding Themes and Paint Schemes??  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Finding Themes and Paint Schemes??
« on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
What BEEEUUUUTEEEEFUL' CLPA EYE CANDY last weekend at Puyallup....and what amazing
"MINDS-EYEBALL'S" do these modelers seem to have.....when it come to finding ideas and concepts for trim and paint work.

BING AND GOOGLE ARE GOD SENDS for aiding and abettin' the frettin' over finding interesting paint and finishing ideas.
When I saw last Sunday...those beautiful works of CLPA ART...from guys like Pete-Pete-n' re-Pete-Paul-Randy-Mark (just to name only a few)

The last photo taken by the amazing retired Boeing co-worker   Ken DeJarlais,PhotoArtist....suddenly brought Mark's beautiful Avenger to my own demented "MINDS EYE BALL." THAT BEAUTIFUL HAWAIIAN SUNSET GOLD FINISH came to mind?

Yesterday...my wife's sister sent me these butta'flyin' works of art in nature that just might lend a great idea for a clear see through finish?  R%%%%

How bout' sharing some secret-online-links that might be a great source for paint schemes, etc?
Don Shultz

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Finding Themes and Paint Schemes??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:41:38 AM »
Right , a certain  DUCATI had the tanks painted grey simulated marble , and the  frame  wood - grained to resemble  whittled ( tree ) Limbs .

Wheres all the tie die brigade and ' creative ' finishes . Not normal to see a show finish on a pommie plane , but the one with the paint done

to look like it was washing / dripping of the nose , revealing the (fake ) metal and rivits under is the sort of ' original ' thinking that catches

the Eye . An aeroplane made of Rock ? , a ' rock wall ' wing ? ,

Who elses got a bizarre scheme in mind ?

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
Found this on line this morning...FLAMES GAAAAALORE! :)
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28:36 AM »
I saw that also and immediately thought, what a nightmare.  It grows on a person tho.  The sunsets in Hawaii, especially at the ranch having dinner at a place that was over 12,000 ft.  Could see the ocean to the west and was told it was only 8 miles to the north.  What an experience.  Will do it again in a second.  Did not really miss the model planes the ten day on the big island. With the wife we would be at the beach from sun up to sun down. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
I watch a lot of car building shows.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »
I saw that also and immediately thought, what a nightmare.  It grows on a person tho.  The sunsets in Hawaii, especially at the ranch having dinner at a place that was over 12,000 ft.  Could see the ocean to the west and was told it was only 8 miles to the north.  What an experience.  Will do it again in a second.  Did not really miss the model planes the ten day on the big island. With the wife we would be at the beach from sun up to sun down. H^^
AMEN! JOHN!
The beach rules...(at least try to sneak in a good sport kite to help pass the time?) LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »
I watch a lot of car building shows.
Car shows are always a treat for paint schemes..here are a couple from the Gig Harbor show last month.
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
I look at "Hot Boat " magazine, sport truck magazine, Airbrush action,
Usually I get something that strikes me as to a color combination, or a shape, then that evolves into something else,, then something else,, then,,,,,

yeah well you get the idea. the original inspiration seldom finds its way into the finished project as such,, but its a stimulus for me. I wont tell you what the stimulus inspiration was for the fishnet stocking idea on the Avenger,, somethings are just private you know ;) H^^
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »
I wont tell you what the stimulus inspiration was for the fishnet stocking idea on the Avenger,, somethings are just private you know ;) H^^
Don't ya just love the feel of fish net stockings....against your bare skin?  LL~ %^@ n~
Don Shultz

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
Right , a certain  DUCATI had the tanks painted grey simulated marble , and the  frame  wood - grained to resemble  whittled ( tree ) Limbs .

Wheres all the tie die brigade and ' creative ' finishes . Not normal to see a show finish on a pommie plane , but the one with the paint done

to look like it was washing / dripping of the nose , revealing the (fake ) metal and rivits under is the sort of ' original ' thinking that catches

the Eye . An aeroplane made of Rock ? , a ' rock wall ' wing ? ,

Who elses got a bizarre scheme in mind ?
My #2 son likes purple, my #1 son likes green -- I was thinking of painting one that dusty blue/purple of a plum on a tree, with a late-summer leaf green background.

I have no clue how good it'd look on a plane -- you'd have to take care or it'd be clashville for sure.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 04:09:39 AM »
Painting the wing to look like water , or it or the fuse looking like sand (KEEP that away from my motor ! ) and sea shell's wold be intresting .

Sureality themes , Pine needles , paving , bullet holes would be a bit crass ? , Ones own 'air force' colour schemes too .

Galah's are quite intresting , Varyying from silver to mid gray under , and pink to magenta on top.good for an 'air superiority' Spitfire .
The correct R.A.F. scheme being a mid/light gray under and P.R.U. (a deep sky blue) over, to make it disapear at high Altitude.
The desert scheme was a pale pink .(to stop being harrased they used to say that it was Brown paint,but had faded in the harsh light to pink )
Same trip, to make the plane invisible high over the middle east. Mine'd be a personal derivitive of these , purloined from Nature .The Birds .

Used to be some flash pinstipeing around once too. . .

Air Brushing of the 'Coustom Van' era , was sureal generally. plenty of books on airbrushing about .

Some  sanely priced airbrushes available too . . . Usually for the plastic scale kit fraternity , Capable of V fine adjustment .

the only thing is , were they all stoned back then ?
in the intrests of 'creativity '.                                                                                         

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »
I get some of my ideas from Overhaulin' and Street Customs. But like Mark, the original inspiration may not be what actually gets painted.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
Don't ya just love the feel of fish net stockings....against your bare skin?  LL~ %^@ n~

Shultzie, have you stopped taking the pills? LL~  Have a look out of the window and see if the men in white coats are waiting! ;D

Cheers    Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
Shultzie, have you stopped taking the pills? LL~  Have a look out of the window and see if the men in white coats are waiting! ;D

Cheers    Neville
**)
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here