News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fine Line tape.  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fine Line tape.
« on: November 19, 2021, 07:38:52 AM »
I don't know about anyone else but my favorite size tape is 1/8 inch for masking trim colors. When the time comes to mask off the trim I never have enough tape. I found some on Amazon that should last a while.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09685GW48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 I use 3M blue masking tape to put down the masking plastic.  One inch wide cut down to 1/2 inch wide.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fine Line tape.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 06:46:05 PM »
Have you tried it? I notice its not 3M but a chinese brand.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 07:26:47 PM »

I'd be amazed if it's as good as the 3M blue vinyl but am also very curious.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 10:34:14 PM »
I'd be amazed if it's as good as the 3M blue vinyl but am also very curious.
You will have a 2nd opinion next week.  For $11 it is worth the time to try it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 02:23:02 AM »
It is out of stock!
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 06:12:59 AM »
It is out of stock!
My Amazon order went through last night and I just checked, showing "IN STOCK"  Try again.

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 06:46:37 AM »
Says, "Currently Unavailable".
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 08:36:00 AM »
You guys never learn from the professionals.

Remember, I did custom graphics and air brush for a LIVING!!!! Over 45 years worth.

Never use products which aren't name brand. I've said this repeatedly.

Stay with the 3M brand. Sure, might cost a bit more but so what.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 10:42:52 AM »
Says, "Currently Unavailable".
Are we talking the same Amazon?  Taken a few minutes ago.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 01:06:22 PM »
Never use products which aren't name brand
It is name brand - JINBING LL~

Worth a try.  3M is great but how do you know this isn't just as great till you give it a try.
It is building season, time to try new things and tinker with new ideas, most of which will be
duds but some just might not be!

Ken

PS - Got the Jetti Box - Thanks!
FYI: JINBING was the gold standard of the Han dynasty....or a pancake.  Not sure which.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
Taken 1 minute ago.

It may be because of USPS restrictions to Australia currently in force. But there are other items, from the US, I can order!
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 03:03:56 PM »
It is name brand - JINBING LL~

Worth a try.  3M is great but how do you know this isn't just as great till you give it a try.
It is building season, time to try new things and tinker with new ideas, most of which will be
duds but some just might not be!

Ken

PS - Got the Jetti Box - Thanks!
FYI: JINBING was the gold standard of the Han dynasty....or a pancake.  Not sure which.

Sure, that's why there are rank amateurs and professionals.

A rank amateur never finds himself in a place where they have confidence or full ability with what they do. Quick to take false advice and try unproven methods.

A professional settles in on a product discovered to work the best based on feedback from other professionals and from practical experience.

"Never change a winning game." This is why many of us gravitated towards the German brand automotive painting systems early on.

And we stay with the product until something better comes along.

You will not find a better tape for a paint edge than the 3M brand.

Nothing like getting used to a product and continuing to use the same product for years and years.

When it comes to product for finishing a model, the Forum is like a salad tossed into the air.

I tried years ago to fix this, but oh well. Many have paid the price and still will.

Time to post photos of my models?  LL~

Nah!
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Tim Just

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »
My order arrived yesterday.  I am in the middle of painting my new airplane so the timing is perfect.  This tape works very well and goes around tight corners with ease. 

Tim

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 10:42:47 AM »
I used it for my MO' Best and it works as good as the name brand, at least in my hands. I used about a half of a roll to do the whole paint job. Same design top and bottom.  As usual there is a photo on my blog.
www.perrystoys.blogspot.com

With everything being made in China who's to say that the 3M factory there isn't making several off brands of the 3M tape and keeping the profits.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »
With everything being made in China who's to say that the 3M factory there isn't making several off brands of the 3M tape and keeping the profits.
Tell me it ain't so...  I have audited a battery plant where the only difference was the label.  Didn't even shut down the line to change labels.  Same with a rather well known soap manufacutrer.  Anymore, it is not so much that they sell the name brand under the cheap label that bothers me, it is when they sell the cheap brand under the name label.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 12:28:09 PM »
Tell me it ain't so...  I have audited a battery plant where the only difference was the label.  Didn't even shut down the line to change labels.  Same with a rather well known soap manufacutrer.  Anymore, it is not so much that they sell the name brand under the cheap label that bothers me, it is when they sell the cheap brand under the name label.

Ken

Many years ago, 44 anyway, I had an account called Garelic Farms. I did their truck lettering.

By hand back then.  %^@ They produced milk under, at least 6 or 8 different labels.

I still refuse to place a tape, which I haven't proven worthy, on my models.

Take no chances, unless you're building models which aren't finished to be perfect.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
Take no chances, unless you're building models which aren't finished to be perfect.
That really sums it up for me.  I know I am never going to achieve that front row finish.  My skills lie in making a plane that flies extremely well, far beyond my ability to fly them.  I can get 15 points with minimal effort or bust my a** and get 15 points.  I don't even clear coat.  The one time I did it cost me 4oz and I got 15 points next time out but if I were taking that plane to the Nats, I probably would clear coat it just to keep it off of the back row. (just to be clear, I do overspray printed graphics).   I am mostly using MonoKote for my base covering, especially on wings.  Most anything that has a clean edge works in masking over MonoKote.  We all have our thing in this hobby.  Mine is in designing, building and competition.  Finishing is just not my thing.   If I could farm that part out under the BOM rules, you would be my first call.

Cheers - Ken   
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 01:40:05 PM »
That really sums it up for me.  I know I am never going to achieve that front row finish.  My skills lie in making a plane that flies extremely well, far beyond my ability to fly them.  I can get 15 points with minimal effort or bust my a** and get 15 points.  I don't even clear coat.  The one time I did it cost me 4oz and I got 15 points next time out but if I were taking that plane to the Nats, I probably would clear coat it just to keep it off of the back row. (just to be clear, I do overspray printed graphics).   I am mostly using MonoKote for my base covering, especially on wings.  Most anything that has a clean edge works in masking over MonoKote.  We all have our thing in this hobby.  Mine is in designing, building and competition.  Finishing is just not my thing.   If I could farm that part out under the BOM rules, you would be my first call.

Cheers - Ken   
Same here.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here