News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:16:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Film With No Glue  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Film With No Glue
« on: November 25, 2020, 09:27:26 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:17:17 PM by Motorman »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Film With No Glue
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »
  Read the instructions
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 11:36:09 PM »
Motorman,
I have no personal experience but this is a copy of a similar question on RCGroup. It seems to cover what you are asking.

"Coverlite does not have adhesive on it. Technically, it is also not a film, it is polyester tissue which has been sealed. To apply you either apply the adhesive to the airframe or to the tissue. It is still a heat shrink material so once glued to the frame you can use an iron or heat gun to shrink it.

Make sure what you have. Coverlite is made by Coverite. Coverite also makes film coverings.

Balsaloc is a water based adhesive made for that purpose but is not fuel proof. Balsarite is a fuel proof adhesive made for this stuff.

Balsaloc looks and acts like plain Elmers white glue.

Charlie

PS Coverite (which is the same material as Solarfilm's Litespan) is my favorite covering material for smaller airplanes (less than 60" span)."
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 07:51:30 AM »
            When covering foam combat wings, I have used 3M 77. I lay the wing on the floor and mist the spray over it. I don't soak it. I just insure that it's covered adequately. I don't spray the film even though that's the proper procedure for most contact adhesives. I lay the film over the foam and use a small shop rag to smooth it all out and I then iron it to remove any unwanted wrinkles.  At the overlaps, I use a strip of clear packing tape which is a real pain to install but when done correctly it works quite well. The problem is when you get the tape near certain films it wants to static cling.

When I've used Coverlite, they offered two versions of the adhesive, a fabric based version and a film based version. The fabric version was discontinued some time ago and I've used the Coverite version for film with no issues whatsoever. It just seems a bit thicker and I've never tried to reduce it. I just brush it out of the can. It has successfully done undercambered wings with no pull back issues.

Offline Dave Edwards

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:27:30 AM »
Contact cement, usually thinned a bit, is what most f2d planes from eastern Europe use. They put a thin bead on only the le and the and tips. When I cover, I also add a bead on each rib and on the center section as it seems to strengthen the frame a bit.

Offline Dave Edwards

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 08:30:55 AM »
Film is placed on the frame once the beads are dry. Use an iron to attach perimeter. Trim and roll edges, repeat for bottom of wing. Shrink with heat gun.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 11:04:53 AM »
Jim Vigani

Offline Dave Edwards

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »
Film is placed on the frame once the beads are dry. Use an iron to attach perimeter. Trim and roll edges, repeat for bottom of wing. Shrink with heat gun.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
For a water based adhesive I use Mod Poge. It is available at art and craft stores. 2 coats on the wood, light sand between, let dry, then iron on the covering.

Balsarite works fine, but is solvent based and a pain to use indoors. I have lots of it and no longer use it. Come and get it anyone?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 09:52:13 AM »
   For a covering adhesive, I prefer SIG Stix-It. Use it on anything.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 01:20:46 PM »
I had bad luck with Balsarite recently. Paint nitrate on and heating that worked better.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »
>>What happened with the balsarite?<<

Coverlite didn't stick well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 02:00:01 PM »
Deluxe Materials has a covering glue for this purpose.
https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/cover-grip

Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
I really liked covellite for small RC and CL projects.   Wish I could still get it.  never could get a smooth Monokote like finish by pretty good.  I have ad good luck with Sign Stiks-it.  Thinned out contact cement worked well   

Big sheeted areas work carefully and it will be fine.

it was my favorite for RC HLG and 1/2a control line stuff. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 07:41:05 PM »
Motorman-  I've had the best results with film that doesn't have adhesive on it by spraying the film on one side with 3M-77 adhesive.  Let it dry for a couple of minutes so it's NOT agressively tacky. Handling almost requires two people, but if you do half the wing at a time one person can handle it with practice.

The wing should be blocked up off the table.  Do the bottom first.  Gently work out from the center of the panel pushing the covering out ahead of the iron and going in an elliptical motion until you get all the covering out to the edges.  Fold the covering around both the LE and TE at least half an inch.  When both sides have been covered seal the edges with gold(foam safe)CyA glue.

It's best to cover the whole wing, built in one piece, before installing the fuselage.  Interrupting the covering at the fuse side sets up a big high stress area that can fracture any wood covering or the foam(if unsheeted).

If you're looking for a contest finish cover the foam wing with paper(silkspan or used exam table paper!)not.  Then apply a couple of thin coats of 50% thinned, water-based urethane varnish- Varathane or Carver-Tripp are well-tested, other haven't been reliably fuel/oil resistant.  Fill the suface with thinned light weight spachle.  Sand it all off and repeat as needed to level the finish. Then apply the film.  For a paint job the covering will need to quick build auto primer.  Again, apply a solid coat and sand almost all of it off.  Repeat until the surface it level.  Apply a thin white base coat(or use white primer if you come across it) and finish as desired.

Good luck.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here