News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Filling silkspan seams without dope ??  (Read 505 times)

Offline Miotch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Filling silkspan seams without dope ??
« on: February 06, 2023, 03:33:46 PM »
Cowling on the Starduster Too.  I tried something new because I need extra strength here to hold the 1/32” balsa cowling when I start the engine.  The inside of the cowl is coated with fiber cloth and epoxy.  But after reading a link on planes built out of paper and alphatic resin mix, like paper mache, I mixed a slurry of wood glue and warm water and soaked my silkspan in it then draped the cowl.  I have tear lines where I went over the nosebowl, which is what I want to make sure I get filled.  I lightly sanded them and I can barely feel them now.  Normally, I'd mix talc or microballoons in dope, give it a few coats and sand and you'd never know they are there.  But I'm building this in my office and I absolutely cannot use dope here.  I've never used auto primer before (well, on a model airplane anyway), but was thinking a few coats of high-build primer would get me there after sanding.  I can spray that stuff outside and let leave the cowling in my car for a few hours until the smell is tolerable to bring back in the office.    I will say that this cowling now is stronger than anything else I've ever built.

Anyone have any tips ??

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 04:05:06 PM by Miotch »

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Filling silkspan seams without dope ??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 11:00:41 PM »
I would have used light fiberglass cloth with finishing resin on the outside of the cowl. The plane sure looks nice.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 03:19:06 AM »
I would have used light fiberglass cloth with finishing resin on the outside of the cowl. The plane sure looks nice.

Thank you. That is exactly what I really wanted to do. But, I decided to stick with my see weird goal of using only stuff I already had and not spend a penny. Still have some West microballoons, but only cheap hardware epoxies and no cloth remotely lightweight.

I kind of laugh at myself for this goal (partly because I have an exception for glue and paint/dope), but it's actually kind of fun. I've never stepped out of the box building a plane. And I honestly have tons of stuff here, so most of this hasn't required much scrounging .  I have both Koverall and silkspan, and I'm waffling on what to cover it with.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 07:14:55 AM »
Miotch,
One product that I have used to fill small low spots and edges is Elmer's color change Wood Filler (Home Depot) This stuff is water based no odor, sticks to anything and feathers smooth. I knock it down with 220 the finish with 400. After complete I put a quick coat of thin CA to fill and harden the surface.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 07:47:24 AM »
Miotch,
One product that I have used to fill small low spots and edges is Elmer's color change Wood Filler (Home Depot) This stuff is water based no odor, sticks to anything and feathers smooth. I knock it down with 220 the finish with 400. After complete I put a quick coat of thin CA to fill and harden the surface.

Best,    DennisT
This is what I use too for the small places.  Feathers as good as Blue Stuff and doesn't take a day to dry.  I have also used the pink spackling paste. but I doubt you have that on hand.  I tried making some from ModPodge and micro-balloons.  Don't do that.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 08:47:04 AM »
This is what I use too for the small places.  Feathers as good as Blue Stuff and doesn't take a day to dry.  I have also used the pink spackling paste. but I doubt you have that on hand. 

Never underestimate the amount of stuff I have lying around .... (and even more strangely, in my office) ...

Not Elmer's, but might work !!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here