News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Empty paint cans  (Read 746 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Empty paint cans
« on: March 28, 2023, 04:59:45 PM »
@#%$ Amazon.

I just got half a dozen empty "paint" cans from Amazon.  The lids just aren't tight enough to really seal.  They're basically tea cannisters.  I'll probably make up some labels for them saying they're "dehydrated water" with detail instructions for use, and give them to friends.

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells 4oz or 8oz real paint cans?  The kind you could put some dope into, then come back a few years later and have it still be liquid?  I want a home for my pre-thinned clear, and I'm fresh out of slightly used cans.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: Empty paint cans
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 05:55:17 PM »
I got some empty cans, 8 oz size, at a local English Color auto paint store.  The lids appear to seal very well.  Maybe you have such a store near you.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 06:30:13 PM »
Check in at your Sherwin-Williams store.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 12:28:47 PM »
Check in at your Sherwin-Williams store.

I got some from Grainger, as well.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 04:56:31 PM »
  Most decent hardware stores have pint and quart cans. You want unlined, non treated cans. Check auto paint stores also. For your thinned clear, I would use the 8 ounce jars that fit the simple, single action Badger air brushes and some others. It's the same size jars that SIG, and Brodak dope come in. It has a decent seal and can easily be reused since it's for clear. Mix up as much clear as you think you will need for a project, then put it into the smaller jars. Use the pint and quart cans to hol raw dope, or to store larger quantities of thinned colors or clears that you won't need for a while. If full up top the brim, the less air there is inside the longer it will keep. I'm sure there are on line sources for these, and local ones also unless you live in the sticks.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 11:00:12 AM »
Tim,
If you can't find the SIG type jar, most hardware chains have the Preval spray jars sold separate from the full spray system.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 06:56:30 PM »
NAPA paint stores sell them in various sizes.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here