News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:57:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Emergency weird problem; humidity ??!!  (Read 999 times)

Offline Miotch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Emergency weird problem; humidity ??!!
« on: May 05, 2023, 08:28:52 PM »
The Starduster has been in a climate controlled office the last four months, including covering with silkspan and Polycrylic.  Wife out of town, so I brought it home this evening to apply base coat white dope. In the kitchen with windows open and I walk by and notice this sagging.  Never had this happen before, but I’ve never applied silkspan with a water based product, either. I also notice the top wing with primer does not seem to have the same problem. Any ideas ??  Im going to close the windows before I go to bed. Thanks !!

Offline Miotch

• Commander
Re: Emergency weird problem; humidity ??!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 08:39:07 PM »
Well, closing the window helped within 10 minutes. Hit it with a heat gun for 10 seconds and tight as ever. Weird.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 08:57:28 PM »
Hit it with a heat gun ...

:o

I think I would have waited longer.  It's pretty typical for doped finishes to sag with each new coat, until you have considerable build-up -- and re-tighten as each coat dries.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 05:40:18 AM »
:o

I think I would have waited longer.  It's pretty typical for doped finishes to sag with each new coat, until you have considerable build-up -- and re-tighten as each coat dries.

Oh, it was actually covered a couple of months ago.  I just bought it home and sat it down. Was going to take the top wing off and spray color today, but it’s about 110 percent humidity right now.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 01:04:58 PM »
Oh, it was actually covered a couple of months ago.  I just bought it home and sat it down. Was going to take the top wing off and spray color today, but it’s about 110 percent humidity right now.

Going by what I have ben reading, experiencing and hearing from some other areas, I have my doubts about any sort of water based finishing system. I don't think they seal wood or covering material like they should, moisture can penetrate and things happen. If you just set it down, humidity got to it almost right away. If you are spaying white dope on it, I would have sprayed on a coat or two  of clear dope to make sure it's sealed and shrunk. The heat may have done the trick for now, will be interesting to see how this progresses.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 05:27:26 AM »
I covered my last plane with Dr. paper and that gave me hives. Every coat of dope, right up to the last coat of 2X clear caused the paper to sag horribly. Within 30 minutes the paper was back to normal tightness every time. Not for the faint of heart.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here