News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:48:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eastwood 2K clear  (Read 786 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Eastwood 2K clear
« on: February 21, 2023, 03:19:06 AM »
Finally, a two part clear that the manufacturer specifically states can be used over Lacquer. Not since 1993 have i seen this. Its always been a crap shoot.  I will be testing this out soon. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aerospraytm-high-gloss-matte-clear.html

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Eastwood 2K clear
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 03:46:45 AM »
Kevin, this is a genuine question. When you say you want an automotive 2k to go over lacquer, I assume you want it to go over dope?

If this is correct, what advantages are there in 2k over using clear dope?

Craig Beswick.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 07:58:55 AM »
Kevin, this is a genuine question. When you say you want an automotive 2k to go over lacquer, I assume you want it to go over dope?

If this is correct, what advantages are there in 2k over using clear dope?

Craig Beswick.
Yes, I really mean 2K over dope.
For me the advantage is a quick fuel proof top coat, and still being able to use dope as the undercoats. In particular 1/2a planes running with higher nitro and more protection from UV light than dope offers, especially if you have candy apple or neon colors. Plus no 100's of hours sanding, buffing and waiting for coats to dry. Check this video out.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:17:59 AM by kevin king »

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 12:47:21 PM »
Before the electric scene hit us quite a few expert finishers were using 2k clear over dope ,otherwise this has been going on for quite a while.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 01:56:26 PM »
Before the electric scene hit us quite a few expert finishers were using 2k clear over dope ,otherwise this has been going on for quite a while.
This Is true walter, but if you check the the spec sheet of those 2k clear paints, most all of them specifically state  not to apply it over lacquer. That's where the risk is. It may or may not work. Eastwood says you can apply this clear over lacquer. That is surprising. I had a 1/2a Tsunami paint job ruined by using 2k clear. The second one drop of fuel hit the surface the paint lifted off the surface. Also I did search the paint you recommended to me on your Spitfire, but could not find any locally. This eastwood is available locally so i will try it..
Kevin

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 04:09:33 PM »
Not THE Tsunami-Arrrgh! I'm subscribed as I'm a 1/2A guy. Who knows...maybe I'll keep a plane long enough that the finish DOES matter.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 06:48:26 PM »
This Is true walter, but if you check the the spec sheet of those 2k clear paints, most all of them specifically state  not to apply it over lacquer. That's where the risk is. It may or may not work. Eastwood says you can apply this clear over lacquer. That is surprising. I had a 1/2a Tsunami paint job ruined by using 2k clear. The second one drop of fuel hit the surface the paint lifted off the surface. Also I did search the paint you recommended to me on your Spitfire, but could not find any locally. This eastwood is available locally so i will try it..
Kevin

I think this is a good find - but *very large numbers* of recent airplanes used 2- or 3-component automotive clear over dope. By recent, I mean the last 25-30 years. All of the inestimable PTGs are like that including the 20-pointer. Almost all of the various common clears seem to have no problem going over dope.

It's a very good system because you get the advantage of the simple and easy spray and touch-up features of air-drying paint with something that is generally fuel-proof and durable.

Brett

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 10:20:43 AM »
Well, there certainly is not alot of info on it when i use the search function. But anyway being away from the hobby since  2005(?) didnt help much either. Its a strange feeling . 😁

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 12:51:42 PM »
The Eastwood 2K spraycan clear coat is like the SprayMax, 2 Part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. Both use a button on the can to activate. I use the SprayMax cause it is available locally at Glue Products. I also use the KBS Diamond Clear aerosol can clear (one part) and it is very good also and not as toxic (but should still use a N95 mask when spraying).

Best,    DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 05:52:45 PM »
Well, there certainly is not alot of info on it when i use the search function. But anyway being away from the hobby since  2005(?) didnt help much either. Its a strange feeling . 😁

My (limited) experience and watching others suggests that most of these 2-part clears sticks fine to dope, whether it is labelled compatible or not. It makes be very nervous and I wouldn't do it myself, probably, but you can't deny the results.

My next effort is likely to be just straight automotive basecoat/clearcoat system. With just enough nitrate dope to get it sealed. The basecoats are easily available, cover well, and are very easy to work with, compared to epoxy, and I won't care about being fuelproof any more.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here