News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:03:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dying Sig Koverall  (Read 1896 times)

Offline david beazley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Dying Sig Koverall
« on: July 20, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
Anyone ever try dying Sig Koverall and then using clear dope over it?
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Dying Sig Koverall
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »
It will probably work, but can you afford the weight? Koverall itself is heavy, and it takes a bunch of dope to fill the weave.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »
It will probably work, but can you afford the weight? Koverall itself is heavy, and it takes a bunch of dope to fill the weave.

I think I would have to agree. Better to dye silk instead.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:29:10 AM »
           David, I'm not sure what type of paint job your trying to achieve whether its appearance or weight saving. I can say I've used Nelson water based paints with great success over Koverall. Nelson paint can be directly applied over the Koverall with NO dope. It will not go through the weave and will be totally fuel proof unlike any other paint you've probably used. Nelson makes a crosslinker which I think enhances the surface tension and doesn't allow the paint to flow through the weave. This is just my theory but it also enables the use of nitro up to 40%. I've tested the nitro theory many of times. Eventually, the paint did fail but it took a long time. Spilling 35% directly on a dope finish is like pouring thinner directly on it. I've used Koverall quite a bit for several reasons. I like the cost and the fact I can put a paint finish on an airframe and then treat it like Monokote if there is a warp. The weight is a factor but its usally offset by the durability factor. I have a Lil Satan with Koverall applied and it flies terrific and doesn't seem to be suffering any weight penalties. In the event you use Nelson paints directly over Koverall, be aware of a few things. You will see every blemish and weave throughout the wing. It doesn't fill the weave so cleanup is a must as the dirt if not cleaned off will become trapped within the weave. I never tried it but I think the real trick to cutting Koverall is to use pinking shears. I say this because any frays or slight wrinkles that can be sanded off of a dope frame are there to stay if you go with the no dope method. If you use the dope method nitrate is the only choice as Nelson doesn't adhere to butyrate and therefore will shed off eventually if applied. Nelson does make a clear which when applied over their colors greatly enhances the shine and does have some filling capabilites which would somewhat fill most imperfections and possibly some of the weave. I think both products are a terrific match together. I used the Sig stix it to install my Koverall initially. I later switched to doping the airframe with nitrate then applying like silspan which I liked better but does take more time. When applying starting with the bottom first, it was a must to completely dope the fabric where the top layers were going to wrap over or it just wouldn't adhere. I typically don't have this problem with silkspan I guess due to the dope thoroughly saturating completely through. Ken

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »
Ken,
Thanks for the response.  I have used Nelson paints in the past with mixed results.  I have found out that the color definately makes a difference in the application.  Lighter colors need to go over a white base.  Yellow has been a real PITA.  I have sprayed and used foam brushes.  I like the fact that it is odorless and cleans up with water.  Nelson's web site now says that the 2 part epoxy primer is not to be used over open framework.  Apparently it is not flexible enough. He lists it as gray.  The primer I have used in the past has been white.  All being said I will probably use it again.
My current application for Koverall is on a (forgive me) is for an old timer Red Zepher RC/electric conversion 76" ws.  I am a newby to CL but been flying RC since the early 80's.  I posted the question on this forum because the RC crowd mostly conciders opening an ARF box as "building".  I perfer to glue sticks together.
Dave
AMA # 2817

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:32:07 PM »
Koverall is polyester fabric, as I recall. Dunno that it will accept dye, but poly clothes do come in various colors, so I'd expect that it would. There is an alternative, and that is using a small percentage of pigmented dope in your clear dope.

The result looks exactly like dyed silkspan or silk or whatever the covering is.  I've inspected this Barnstormer by Mike Haverly very closely, and there just isn't any way to tell which it is. PLUS, it doesn't fade like most dyes.
Very slightly heavier than dye, but better in most ways, IMO.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

posthole_digger

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:52:07 AM »
If it were my old timer, I would use silk to show off all that beautiful structure. Koverall is heavy. If you must use Koverall consider covering it with Monokote - Monokote goes on beautifully without bubbles and helps keep the weight down. Just, put a coat of nitrate on first.

Paul

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:29:22 AM »
I have never done silk, is there a "Silk & Dope for Dummies" instructions somewhere?  I tried the Koverall on the horizontal stab and due to the light construction technique the thing ended up looking like a pretzel when the fabric was shrunk. I am rebuilding the stab now.
AMA # 2817

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »
Do a search on silk.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here