Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Dying Dope!

(1/3) > >>

Neville Legg:
Can anyone tell me if there is a universal dye that will tint clear dope?
I'm in England, and I can't find any info. on this subject.

Cheers   Neville

Ralph Wenzel (d):
Go to most any "Arts & Crafts" or "Artist's Supply" store and get "dry pigments", available in a wide range of colors. These are ground to a very fine powder, and unless you work in a totally draft-free environment, a dust mask would be good to use. Mix the pigment(s) in thinner and stir/shake/agitate thoroughly, and then add the colored thinner to the clear dope. The Dry Pigments can be expensive, but a little goes a l-o-n-n-g way, so add sparingly. FWIW, these pigments also work well with epoxy and polyester resins.

When fuel-proofing engine/tank compartments, I always add a bit of tint to the epoxy so I can see missed spots or where I've overdone it. The color change is quite revealing. 1/8 teaspoon of pigment added to 1 ounce of epoxy is very noticeable!

I have also heard/read that Aniline Dyes will work to color clear dope, but I have not used them, and cannot make promises.

Ralph

George:
You might also try these: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5522

George

Jim Kraft:
I have used Alumilinte dye that is used for casting plastics. It is available at Hobby Lobby or google it as they do have a website. I used the orange on this plane and found it mixes with laquer thinner just fine. Then just add to clear dope. It is very intense and only requires a few drops. Don't even get it near anything you don't want dyed. I would recomend spraying it on and covering that with clear, and until you get several coats of clear on it do not sand. If you do break through the clear into the tinted dope it will get on everything and is hard to remove. This is a liquid dye, but in the bottle I got it was almost dried out. Just added thinner and it was fine.

Randy Powell:
Are you trying to tint it (as in see through finish) or make your own opaque dopes (like in regular, colored paints)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version