News:

• May 07, 2024, 06:43:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Randolph dope and sig thinner compadability  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Doug Kretschmar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Randolph dope and sig thinner compadability
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:06:46 PM »
Hello.Does anybody on this forum have any experience using Randolph clear and Sig thinner? I plan on using Sig color dope with Sig thinner. I did a search but came up empty. Thanks in advance.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Randolph dope and sig thinner compadability
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 11:46:30 AM »
I've used Randolph's dope with Dupont 3608 (and variations) together. But it's hit and miss. Lacquer is generally temperamental and sensitive to conditions. Using products that aren't matched is taking a chance. I'd say do a test panel. See what you get. I tend to be careful about it and try to only use products that are formulated to work together, but other stuff can be done successfully. Just don't shoot you're brand new plane with something you haven't tested out. It can be crazymaking.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »
Hello.Does anybody on this forum have any experience using Randolph clear and Sig thinner? I plan on using Sig color dope with Sig thinner. I did a search but came up empty. Thanks in advance.

Hi Doug,

I have been using Sig butyrate thinner to thin Sig, Randolph, & Certified butyrate dope for years and have had no problems whatsoever.  I like Sig butyrate thinner as it is the slowest of the three (Sig, Randolph, & Certified) thinners & gives the flow of the butyrate dope that I like to have.

Bill
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Doug Kretschmar

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:29:55 PM »
Thanks guys for responding to my query. I've used Sig dope products exclusively for about 20 years with no problems. What frosts my cookies is the hazmat charge they tack  on for gallon containers.. I've learned from this forum that Aircraft Spruce gets by without hazmat fees by classifying dope products as industrial adhesives. I wish Sig could get away with that. Everything I use for my hobby has to be mail order because I live in northern North Dakota in the middle of nowhere . I'd really like to try Randolph dope but I think the secret,as stated on this forum, is the thinner and Randolph thinner is just as costly as Sig. I put a lot of time and money in my toy airplanes,as does everybody else,and I guess it doesn't make sense to cheapen up at the end. Thank you again for the help. Doug       P.S. Since I live in a cold climate and we only have 2 days of summer I've found that you can spray dope outside down to 20 below! Won't dry at that temp ,but you can spray outside and bring it into the shop to dry no problem. Added bonus no bugs or dust!

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »
I ordered a gallon of crystal clear from Brodak and he sent 4 quarts and charge gallon price. No haz mat charge.
I've used DuPont 3608 to thin dope for years, no prob.
Randolph is the supplier to Brodak and Sig.
I use acetone to clean spray gun and brushes. Cheaper.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here