News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: masking tape  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
masking tape
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:36:27 PM »

Does fine line masking tape have a shelf life?? I have some that might be 5-6 years old in my shop and the temperature varies from 100 to 25 degrees depending upon the time of year.
 Would this have a bearing on the line not being as crisp as when it was new?  (The paint is bleeding under the tape) mw~ HB~> mw~ HB~>

Thanks for your answers..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: masking tape
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »
Potentialy yes,
its also relevant to prevent as much exposure as possible to air. I would suspect that if you are getting bleeding it could be exposure to air is affecting the adhesive on the edges of the tape.

assuming that all other precautions are taken. clean surface, not stretching it to far, that sort of thing.

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: masking tape
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 06:05:37 AM »

As an in expensive alternative, I use the green masking tape that can be bought at the local auto parts stores. I buy it in different widths and trim it to 1/4 or less to make tight bends. I do lay it down on a bare piece of balsa before laying it out on the model. It makes it less sticky and not as easy to lift underlaying paint. I use this stuff a lot ( on dope finishes) and it makes crisp edges and (knock on wood ) I have not had any bleed unders to date. I have had the same problem storeing my expensive trim tape with heat making a mess out of it.....Gene

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here