News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:48:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dope Rejuvenator for haze?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dope Rejuvenator for haze?
« on: August 27, 2020, 07:00:28 AM »
 Does rejuvenator help remove haze from the dope as a top coat? Seems it is a material that will soften old dope and add back in some plasticizers. Would this not also renew a hazed the finish?

Best,    DennisT

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Dope Rejuvenator for haze?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »
  I use a mixture of 10% retarder, 10% clear non tautening dope and the rest thinner. Lightly spray over the hazed area. Works more often than not.
Sir,
For old dope, what is the retarder? Is there any chance this will work on a candy red?

My last plane has a lot of blushing from spraying in Mississippi heat and humidity.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Dope Rejuvenator for haze?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »
Retarder is just very slow evaporating thinner.  You should never add more than 10% retarder to your mix.  That means that 10% of you total thinner aded to the paint is retarder.   Adding more will allow the thinned paint to soften preceding coats and endanger plastic canopies.  By adding retarder the paint drying time is slowed allowing moisture to escape before the paint skins, trapping moisture into the layer of paint.  I very seldom use retarder choosing to spray only when humidity is below 50%. While some bloush might occur, succeeding coats usually make it disappear. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here