News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dope & Aluminum  (Read 951 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dope & Aluminum
« on: January 26, 2019, 02:59:48 PM »
I've got some landing gear doors and other similar stuff made out of aluminum on the current project.  What's the best way to get dope to stick to it?  Is there some primer that makes a good interface between metal and dope?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Dope & Aluminum
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
At work we had great success using Sherwin Williams self etching automotive primer before painting aluminum.  I can't seem to find it but Amazon shows many others including Rust-Oleum and Dupli-Color. 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
At work we had great success using Sherwin Williams self etching automotive primer before painting aluminum.  I can't seem to find it but Amazon shows many others including Rust-Oleum and Dupli-Color.

You can buy Zinc Chromate primer in an aerosol can.

You have to scratch the aluminum up.

https://www.amazon.com/MOELLER-MFG-COMPANY-INC-CHROMATE/dp/B000N8LR24

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
When I restored sports cars I had a great relationship with Eastwood.

They will spend time with you on the phone.

This will work and is less money.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-self-etch-primer-gray.html

Acid base, self etching or not, I would still scratch the surface before applying.

I always do the masking tape pull test on all first layers of primer. Just to be sure.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »
Oops!

I see you're interested in using dope.

I'm not sure if dope will attack this stuff or not? If you elect to use this product I'd do a dope test over it just to be sure.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 04:54:38 PM »
I've got some landing gear doors and other similar stuff made out of aluminum on the current project.  What's the best way to get dope to stick to it?  Is there some primer that makes a good interface between metal and dope?

Hi Tim,

Typically dope on metal is not a good idea as dope shrinks and does not develop great adhesion on metal which can cause it to lift.  I have gotten away with this using a spray can self-etching primer sold by Aircraft Spruce & Specialty.  Apply the dope using a few very light coats when the primer is dry in say about a couple of hours or so depending on conditions. 
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
Tim,

Years ago, right after dirt was invented, I painted the aluminum body of a Super Modified
race car that ran at the "Indy of the East" track located in Oswego NY.

The paint products used for the project were all Rust-oleum products of various types.

There was available a primer for use exclusively on aluminum metal, and as I remember,
it was basically clear, but with a slight blue tint.

If you Google Rust-oleum paints, you will find that there are many products defined
exclusively for this application.   Don't be confused by the paints that are advertised as
aluminum color.

Of course, any project with unknown variables requires a couple of experiments just to
be safe.

It was quite a thrill to sit up in the grandstands and watch that car in races, knowing that
I painted that good ole #37.  That car was also the largest paint job I ever did.....it makes
model airplanes look so small by comparison.  The finish looked great from that distance !!

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here