News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:37:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Somewhat Off topic, but close, question on polishing  (Read 1215 times)

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Somewhat Off topic, but close, question on polishing
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:16:48 AM »
I am refinishing some hardwood that is sprayed with oil based spar varnish. What would a good technique for final polish be?  H^^ ??? ;D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Somewhat Off topic, but close, question on polishing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »
Interesting question. I would first read the can, then look up the Mfg.'s website and see if they answer the question in their FAQ.

Is this another trophy for Larry Fernandez?  LL~ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
Larry I do a few wood projects for my wife each year in my full outfitted wood shop.

I much prefer Danish oil for several but occasionally use Minwax's Helmsman Spar varnish and I think the final coat is level and glossy enough for HER taste

I did (one time) wait for it to harden a few weeks (no not days...too humid here) and used 3M auto Polish ( I forget the grit) and a orbital machine...she loved it, but my old poor eyes could not really see the difference

Truth is.... the answer lies within what are you building and finishing...a table / shelf top requires a lot more attention to detail than a chair set or stool legs
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:44:24 PM »
I am refinishing some hardwood that is sprayed with oil based spar varnish. What would a good technique for final polish be?  H^^ ??? ;D

That's going to be a tough one, I think. It really never gets entirely hard since it is intended for outdoor use on boats.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here