News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:30:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did I screw up and how bad?  (Read 964 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Did I screw up and how bad?
« on: July 09, 2022, 03:05:43 PM »
I got a little ahead of myself today. I covered one panel of my Vector profile wing with silkspan and dope. As I was getting ready to do the other bottom panel, I realized that I had not doped the wing yet. I had brush doped the fuse and all the other surfaces but I was intending to spray the wings before covering. Got a bit ahead and skipped the spray stage. The silkspan looks to be stuck down on the wing as well as any of the other surfaces I have already covered. Should I sand it all off or call it good and keep going. I will put a couple coats on the other panels before covering.

While I’m asking, do you finish the weight box lid with it installed or separately?

Thanks, Matt

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Did I screw up and how bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 04:16:08 PM »
I got a little ahead of myself today. I covered one panel of my Vector profile wing with silkspan and dope. As I was getting ready to do the other bottom panel, I realized that I had not doped the wing yet. I had brush doped the fuse and all the other surfaces but I was intending to spray the wings before covering. Got a bit ahead and skipped the spray stage. The silkspan looks to be stuck down on the wing as well as any of the other surfaces I have already covered. Should I sand it all off or call it good and keep going. I will put a couple coats on the other panels before covering.

While I’m asking, do you finish the weight box lid with it installed or separately?

Thanks, Matt
You will be OK.  If it is stuck down don't worry about it.    I do my weight boxes separately.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 06:18:24 PM »
As Ken says just keep going. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 06:31:42 PM »
Do any lids, hatches, and whatnot separately.  Make sure that when you build them you leave clearance for the finish on both the edges of the hole and the edges of the thingie.

A nice pretty weight box lid that goes into the hole once, and then can't be removed without damage, is kinda embarrassing, and really frustrating.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 07:29:04 PM »
Thanks guys.
I thought this was the case but wanted to be sure and not have it come apart down the road.

Matt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here