News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Determining grain direction in Silkspan - simple way.  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Determining grain direction in Silkspan - simple way.
« on: August 05, 2020, 01:12:35 PM »
I'm getting ready to cover my Electric S-1 Ringmaster with silkspan and wanted to determine the grain so it would run span wise for the extra strength. I tried searching this forum, there is a lot of how to apply but I didn't see anything about determining the grain direction. In some material it is very easy to determine by looking at it. Silkspan is a bit less obvious. I've heard you can do a tear test in which you take a small piece of material and tear it straight down. If you are tearing in the direction of the grain it will be a smooth tear line, if against the grain it will be ragged. For me this was not cut and dry, both tears were similar.

What I then did was a pull test. For this you take a small piece of the silkspan (noting the direction you cut it from the sheet) and simply grab it with your thumbs and forefingers near the middle of the test piece (I used a piece about 1" sq) and pull apart. If you are pulling in the direction of the grain you will find it takes about 2 -3 times the pressure to pull it apart then if you are pulling across the grain. The results were very obvious. This should work for other materials like doctor paper or other tissue.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Determining grain direction in Silkspan - simple way.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:47:56 PM »
Generally speaking, it tears in a straight line in the direction of the grain.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »
Interesting.  All my silkspan (I have a lifetime's supply of Sig) and decent tissue has a distinct tear direction -- I have some really crappy tissue, though, where it isn't obvious.

I'll remember that test, just in case.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
    Generally, silk span and tissue sheets are not square, and one dimension is longer than the other.  That is how it comes off the roll. The grain follows this direction, as a place to start. Some times you can see it when held up to the light. Then fall back to the tear test as already mentioned. Model Airplane 101!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:04:40 AM »
As Dan said it makes sense that the grain runs down the long side of the sheet. However, some have indicated that some of the newer stuff runs down the short length that's why you need to test it. The stuff I have is 20 year old box of SIG. I dyed it yellow and the sheets are almost square so pull testing gave positive grain direction. 

For covering wings you do want the grain running span wise for the extra strength. For those of us who have been doing this for a while we knew this but some new comers or those that never used silkspan might not have seen this information in the covering videos so now we have it in the forum.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 06:42:58 AM »
For covering wings you do want the grain running span wise for the extra strength.
Don't forget the annoying sag between the ribs if you get it wrong.  I have never had a problem finding the grain just by looking at it.  The squiggly strands are longer with the grain and more aligned. It will also sag more across the grain than with it if you are holding the sheets...or just use MonoKote.

Ken

ps.  We have to get over this virus stuff.  Even talking about the grain direction in silkspan in the middle of flying season is just unnatural.  %^@
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here