News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:38:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decal paper  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Decal paper
« on: May 12, 2019, 11:52:42 PM »
I'm going to need to make some small lettering decals for the F-86. Since Letrasets seem to be a thing of the past and kinda difficult to use anyway, decals seem the only option unless a vinyl cutter can cut 1/8" lettering.
What say you on this? Is there a decal paper that's dope resistant?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
Re: Decal paper
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 01:04:32 AM »
It’s been awhile, but Micro Mark inkjet decal paper has worked for me. Over coated with nitrate. Probably other sources.

NormF

Tom Vieira

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 05:56:31 AM »
cricuts can cut some pretty tiny stuff, i was amazed when my sister cut me decals for my sportsman goodyear!

from what i understand with the decal papers, you gotta spray on a few coats of dope pretty light and dry first, then cut them out and apply them.  a couple dry coats after application to seal the edges aren't a bad idea, either.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
Ty, doesn’t the dope eat the Krylon clear?
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
So the decals still wet/separate from the backer AFTER they've been Krylon-clear coated, but before applied to the model? Does the clear coat make the decals less flexible on contoured surfaces?

Thanks in advance!

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »
Have you tried printing with a laser jet? Years ago I used sticky back clear mylar with a laser jet for black numbers/names. Just peeled the backing and floated on with water. No coating needed for fuel proofing and it lasted the life of the planes. The newer laser jets are supposed to be equal to ink jets for art work now...but I haven't tried them to prove it.
Bill P.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
Yes they separate and conform to the models surface just like always. The Krylon prevents the colors from running when wet, one bad thing about ink jet printers, even after the decal has dried over night. I wish I had a laser printer, but out of my price range. Ink jet printers lay the color on the top of the decal. I think, and may be wrong, but the laser printer in beds the color in the decal medium. A former member had access to a laser printer at work and made many of our decals. They never faded or ran. D>K
[/quote

Yes, lasers etch/fuse the colors into the surface...that's why mylar is the preferred backing. The only issue I ever had with doing sticky back mylar was the edges could eventually peel if you weren't careful cleaning the plane.  I rounded off corners to help that. Mylar sheets ain't cheap but putting a finish over them is totally eliminated. You can buy it in satin or glossy at office depot type places.
Bill P.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
Micro Mark has decal paper for laser printers, it is thinner and doesn't need to be clear coated before applying.  It won't work in an inkjet printer.  Put your graphics on a thumb drive and trot on down to Office Depot, be sure to tell them what is and set the printer for highest quality.  The decals stick better and are much better after clear coating, the edges will disappear when done correctly.
Mike

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »
Micro Mark has decal paper for laser printers, it is thinner and doesn't need to be clear coated before applying.  It won't work in an inkjet printer.  Put your graphics on a thumb drive and trot on down to Office Depot, be sure to tell them what is and set the printer for highest quality.  The decals stick better and are much better after clear coating, the edges will disappear when done correctly.

Mike, are these water slide decals, or press n stick type?
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 02:48:33 PM »
Water slide.  My Freedom 45 has them.  That's all Howard will use, they really are much better.
Mike

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
Here is the cheapest way to try it out. https://www.micromark.com/LASER-TRY-IT-PACK

LaserJet decals don't need to be clear coated before application, you can, but it doesn't help anything.   Be sure to make rounded corners when you cut out the images, the will lay down a little better and not so likely so lift with the clear coat.  I put several coats of clear on the decals (after applying) before spraying the rest of the model, they will feather out and the edges will disappear.  I only used Krylon once, the dope made it wrinkle and I never did it again.  Dope works just fine and you don't have to have an extra spray can laying around.
Mike

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 04:40:09 PM »
Thanks Mike! Good info.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 08:13:08 PM »
Thanks Mike! Good info.

AFAIC it's scary territory fiddling with making waterslide decals and clear coating with dope, I'm just chicken. I'd follow Mike's recipe though, I saw Howards decals on his model once and there was no discerning them as decals. I specifically remember some very small lettering on the nose and you'd never know it wasn't paint, looked awesome.

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 04:47:32 PM »
My decals use the official JCT Bel material. It’s not the traditional water-slide stuff from the old days—I reckon it’s Mylar—but it slides around fine if you give it a toot of Windex.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 11:37:58 PM »
My decals use the official JCT Bel material. It’s not the traditional water-slide stuff from the old days—I reckon it’s Mylar—but it slides around fine if you give it a toot of Windex.

So Howard, since I have no laser printer, magic JCT decal paper, or the knowledge to use either one if I did have them, what should it take to convince you to run some decals for me?

...and before you say no, keep in mind I'm often your flight judge. But don't let that influence your decision.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
Bel is the brand. I don’t have a color laser printer either. I bought one, but it didn’t work, so I gave it to the guy who dug my irrigation trenches. The last decals I did at Office Depot with a particularly patient clerk.

Keep up the good judging, though. Better yet, build a dadgum airplane and fly. Oh, I guess you did, but got stuck at the decal stage.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »

Keep up the good judging, though. Better yet, build a dadgum airplane and fly. Oh, I guess you did, but got stuck at the decal stage.

When this nightmare is over an Evolution is on the board. You’ll still beat me, but by 3 less points. I’m kinda happy about that.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 01:29:46 PM »
I print mine with an inkjet.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »
What inkjet?  My Canons didn’t work, but I was using laser paper.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
I use an HP 5550 inkjet printer with inkjet decal paper. Works pretty well overall.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
I recently acquired a laser printer and gave away my inkjet. As a result, there is a spare pack of clear base inkjet decal paper available. Pay the shipping (USPS envelope $6?) and it is first come, first gets it.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 05:54:27 PM »
FWIW I had good luck with Bel decal paper .  Sadly I tried to buy more and they appear to be out of business.  I purchased some micro mart and it’s not working well with my LED printer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here