News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decal Humps  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Decal Humps
« on: August 24, 2020, 11:45:08 PM »
The same issue comes up whenever I use a decal.  I blow a few coats of clear over the decal, but I'm afraid to sand away enough of the resultant hump to fair in the edge of the decal.  Is there some way you can tell if you're sanding too close to the decal?  Maybe a clear, fluorescent coat that would show up on the sandpaper under UV light?  I'm using the wonderful DBC 500 basecoat clear that Mark Scarborough put me onto, but the same would apply to dope.   
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: Decal Humps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 04:49:32 AM »
Couldn’t you just:
-Spray a safe amount of clear over the decal and its perimeter,
-Then mask the decal with something of same shape.
Then build up more clear around the masked area, remove the mask and sand it flat.

If you use 2-component clear it should be ok. With dope, I’d expect thet something shows up later due to shrinkage.🐫

L

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 07:29:09 AM »
The same issue comes up whenever I use a decal.  I blow a few coats of clear over the decal, but I'm afraid to sand away enough of the resultant hump to fair in the edge of the decal.  Is there some way you can tell if you're sanding too close to the decal?  Maybe a clear, fluorescent coat that would show up on the sandpaper under UV light?  I'm using the wonderful DBC 500 basecoat clear that Mark Scarborough put me onto, but the same would apply to dope.
It has been a long time since I have applied clear but when I did, I always did two applications.  On the first "set" I brushed it on and wet sanded being very careful not to dig into any decals or color. When brushed with the stroke toward the decal, the clear pools around the edges.  Final coats were sprayed and just rub & buff.  I never had to deal with today's vinyl graphics or automotive finishes.  Pretty thick that vinyl.

Personally, I think the shine, shine, shine thing we go through for that extra 1-2 points is a waste of time except for maybe the very top fliers.  At a local contest my ship without all that attention gets me about 15 points.  With it I will get about 15 points. :o

Having said that, if finishing is your thing - never mind. :-X

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:36:15 AM »
Howard, I would actually do that in the catalyzed clear phase,, what I do is dust a light coat of death paint over the suspect areas prior to the application of the overall clear coat..
The DBC 500 does not have much build thickness,,,,
Of course if the decal falls across an edge, sanding and dealing with it are a real crapshoot as you know,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »
Is there a way to tell when you sand through the clearcoat into the DBC 500? 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 01:38:27 PM »
I never had to deal with today's vinyl graphics or automotive finishes.  Pretty thick that vinyl.

We use the vinyl only as a paint mask.  The decals are annoyingly thin.

...except for maybe the very top fliers.

This ain't your quick finish
Applied with a mop.
The Jive Combat Team
Is the top of the top.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 02:33:33 PM »
 I use a rattle can clear acrylic lacquer over decals and catalyzed polyurethane for topcoat on the plane. Put on decal, shoot topcoat. Spray extra around the edges of the decal, then sand until flat.

Just keep a steady nerve and a pure heart and you'll be fine.

Edit: Oh, I'm using Custom Shop KC2020 clear. I like it so far.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 04:38:50 PM »
Hi Howard,

This how I go about making and placing decals:

I happen to have Microsoft® Word on my computer and used it to make my own decals. I believe most computers that use Microsoft® Windows has a program called WordPad that comes with the operating system. This program will work just as well as Microsoft® Word for making decals. Sorry for the Macintosh® users, but I’m sure there’s a program to do the same thing as Word. I also order “clear water soluble” decal paper for LaserJet printers. DO NOT get InkJet decal paper!

Once I’m satisfied with what I need, I create a PDF file of the Word document and transfer the files to a flash drive, grab my water soluble decal paper and head out to the nearest Office Depot and have them print the decals for me on their high end laser printers. I believe the last time I had them print black and white decals it cost me a whole 13 cents a sheet. Not too bad. Most high end LaserJets have a higher resolution and a higher temperature setting to bond the toner to the decal paper over the inexpensive LaserJets designed for home or personal use.

When applying the decals, I work one decal at a time, cut them out of the sheet, and soak it in a pan of water until it becomes loose from the backing. Locate the decal on the plane where you want it. When satisfied with the location of the decal, take a paper towel and gently remove any air bubbles, lumps, bumps and excess water. Once all the air bubbles and water are removed, I take Walthers® Solvaset Decal Setting Solution and brush it on all the edges of the decal. The Solvaset solution soften the decal and removes a little of the “hard edge” of the decals. Beware ––– Don’t be fooled just because the decal appears to be dry. I usually wait a full day or longer for the decal to fully adhere to the surface.

The decals are not fuel proof or dope proof! Once dry, I take my airbrush with clear dope and *very* lightly spray the edges of the decal and build up the edges with several coats. You are trying to feather in the edges of the decal with the dope. When that dries, I spray a couple of very light coats over the entire decal. DO NOT spray on a heavy coat over the decal as this will blister and/or dissolve the decal! The purpose of this coating is to seal and protect the decal from the clearcoat.

I sand the edges of the decal very carefully. What you want to sand is the dope - not the decal. Decal paper does not sand very well if at all.

Hope that helps.

Dennis

Here’s what I place on the side of the fuselage of my first electric plane:

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
Is there a way to tell when you sand through the clearcoat into the DBC 500?
well DBC 500 wont polish, and if you look really realy close you willsee a ring where you sand through,,

solution is dont sand through ;)

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 10:04:08 AM »
solution is dont sand through ;)

I think I need a brain replacement for that to work.  But not, apparently, Howard's, if he has the same problem.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
I’ve never solved this completely.  I apply about a dozen butyrate clear coats (brushed) over the decal.  It dries in about an hour or two in my desert Phoenix climate.  After maybe 5 coats, I will start to kiss the decal edges with fine sandpaper (400-600).  The final product, after 2-part auto urethane clear is fairly good, but if you close your eyes, you can still feel the bump. 

I like Mark Scarborough’s suggestion to give is some extra Urethane topcoat.  I will try that next time.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 08:27:12 PM »
There are products used in model railroading, Micro Sol and Micro Set, produced by MicroScale Industries. I've been trained in the use of these products and recommend it primarily for those with nerves of steel and lots of patience.

Like Howard.

dg

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
There are products used in model railroading, Micro Sol and Micro Set, produced by MicroScale Industries. I've been trained in the use of these products and recommend it primarily for those with nerves of steel and lots of patience.

Like Howard.

dg
Those will make the decal snug down into surface detail of the model, but a stunt plane should already be perfectly smooth.  What I suspect makes life hard for Howard is that the decal carrier film is too thick.  Howard needs decals printed by Cartograph, but they probably would be too delicate for large graphics for a stunt plane.
The best solution is sadly the same as it is for the plastic model nerds-use paint vs decals whenever possible.
Steve

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
Howard, Howard, Howard, how many times have I told you that you should not be putting decals on your pet camel.  You are always going to end up with a hump.

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 07:36:48 PM »
If you want to call it a camel, use two decals.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:14:46 PM by Fred Underwood »
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here