News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:54:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klass-Kote repairs  (Read 1598 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Klass-Kote repairs
« on: July 31, 2022, 10:08:22 PM »
As mentioned in the other thread, I had to cut up my airplane and repair it. For some reason, people always ask about how to repair epoxy (SuperPoxy or Klass-Kote). It's really simple - you sand it down to primer, fill it, prime it, sand the primer, paint it, color-sand, and clear. You don't have to worry about material incompatibility, everything sticks to everything else very well.

The only problem I have ever had with repair is matching the color, particularly white, which turns gray and then yellows due to sun exposure. I have been able to replicate the color pretty well by using the color straight out of the can, and then mixing Klass-Kote and Superpoxy hardeners. The Klass-Kote is pretty fresh and will only turn a medium brown/dark amber after it is opened. The SuperPoxy is at least 30 years old and nearly very dark amber bordering on opaque brown, partly from oxidation and the can rusting.

On this one the filler is mostly Bondo which cures in 15 minutes instead of SuperFil which takes overnight - because I didn't have time to wait! Note also that I was not concerned about the weight, because I had nearly an ounce of weight on there before. But, used properly (to fill in very shallow discontinuities and cracks as a "skim", it's not any worse than anything else. Sandpaper reduced the need for thick coats of any filler.

This time the paint was under the stab, and only two years old, so it hasn't yellowed too much. I used about 85% Klass-Kote and 15% SuperPoxy, and the match was very good, the biggest tip-off being that the repair is much more opaque than the rest of the paint and has no pinholes.

Point being, it really could not have been simpler, you can be pretty cavalier about it, its dead easy.

I didn't take too many pictures since I was in a big hurry, but below -

cut off and reassembled
    primed
    painted with color match
    clear and about half rubbed out

Brett

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
Re: Klass-Kote repairs
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 06:33:30 PM »
Hi Brett,
What repair, I don’t see a repair at all.  Nice job.

Later,
Mikey

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 06:57:54 PM »
Hi Brett,
What repair, I don’t see a repair at all.  Nice job.

If you know where to look you can see it, but it really is hard to pick out, the biggest giveaway being that there are no pinholes in the repair. Point is that repairing it is pretty easy, and this one was done at Warp 9 trying to get it ready for the NATs - if anything had gone wrong, there was no time to fix it.

I would add that for stuff like this, razor saws are perfect, it cuts through balsa like a hot knife through butter and takes a very small kerf.

Brett

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »
I would add that for stuff like this, razor saws are perfect, it cuts through balsa like a hot knife through butter and takes a very small kerf.

Why is it that I see a 'twinkle in your eyes' anytime there is a razor saw in your hand!   ;D

Dennis

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 07:29:55 PM »
Why is it that I see a 'twinkle in your eyes' anytime there is a razor saw in your hand!   

Because it's usually someone else's airplane.

Brett

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »
Brett, is the 'USA' on the fin sprayed on, a decal or Letraset? Nice clean edges.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 10:43:14 AM »
I just finished a similar repair 2 days ago. Dupont acrylic lacquer primer, Brodak white, and Sig Lite Coat over top of 30 year old 2 part acrylic urethane clear.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 10:47:12 AM »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
Brett, is the 'USA' on the fin sprayed on, a decal or Letraset? Nice clean edges.

Sorry, didn't see this until now. These are painted using paint masks from Jim Snelson. I don't know if he does it any more, but there are several sign shops that will cut the masks as requested.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here