News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:48:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minado Day 26 fillets  (Read 1684 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Minado Day 26 fillets
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
Superfill application

Check back in a few minutes
AMA 12366

Eric Viglione

Re: Minado Day 26 fillets
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »
Wow Sparky, I forgot how much work it was until I saw you doing it. Man, have I got a deal for you that will make your day! (well, a day in the future for you anyway)

I haven't done fillets like you showed in years. Keep using the Superfil and mix per usual... but FIRST...go buy a few of THESE:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoject-Curved-412-Syringes-5pcs/dp/B007Y8230G

Cut the tip back until the opening is a around 1/8" or whatever you find works for you with experience after you try it the first time.

Grab a Popsicle stick and trowel the superfil into the syringe, only takes a second to load it up.

Use the syringe to lay in a near perfect fillet like you are caulking your bathtub. You will have all 8 fillets done in the time it took you to do the one on video, and you won't have to tape it off once you get good at it, I don't tape them off anymore. Same finger/alcohol treatment to finish off.

If it isn't ten times easier I'll buy you a beer, heck, even an imported one.

Leave the unused superfil in the syringe overnight and let it cure hard. It will come out easy as a plug when you pull the plunger. I've used the same syringe on the last few planes, but I still bought a few to have on hand just in case.

EricV

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
Wow Sparky, I forgot how much work it was until I saw you doing it. Man, have I got a deal for you that will make your day! (well, a day in the future for you anyway)

I haven't done fillets like you showed in years. Keep using the Superfil and mix per usual... but FIRST...go buy a few of THESE:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoject-Curved-412-Syringes-5pcs/dp/B007Y8230G

Cut the tip back until the opening is a around 1/8" or whatever you find works for you with experience after you try it the first time.

Grab a Popsicle stick and trowel the superfil into the syringe, only takes a second to load it up.

Use the syringe to lay in a near perfect fillet like you are caulking your bathtub. You will have all 8 fillets done in the time it took you to do the one on video, and you won't have to tape it off once you get good at it, I don't tape them off anymore. Same finger/alcohol treatment to finish off.

If it isn't ten times easier I'll buy you a beer, heck, even an imported one.

Leave the unused superfil in the syringe overnight and let it cure hard. It will come out easy as a plug when you pull the plunger. I've used the same syringe on the last few planes, but I still bought a few to have on hand just in case.

EricV

Looks like that would work. As I sated in my video I do everything like 1950 but I will give those a try. Thanks

Every time I watch someone fillet a model, I thank the good folks that clued me in on leather fillets!

I have that old stuff around here some where if I ever run across it ,its yours.
AMA 12366

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
Its been a while sense I tried to do a top notch finish and I have forgotten how much sanding is involved. I will be awhile at this sanding business.
AMA 12366

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 05:30:08 PM »
Sparky,

Being cheaper than you. LL~ LL~, I use plane old water to do the job you do with 95% alcohol. Works great. (For me)

I gotta get me some of that DC 540. That looks like the ticket to a fast finish.

Tight lines, Jerry

Eric Viglione

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »
Oh, BTW... I don't know if you do internal wing/fuse and stab fillets, but I do. I use the syringe to do nice tiny internal fillets, much smaller than the external fillets. I do them like 1/2" long spot welds, not continuous beads. Adds almost no weight, simpler and lighter than other things I used to do like putting strips of carbon or glass L-brackets, or balsa strips, and adds tremendous strength to your wing and stab joint.

Since some piped planes have a wide open bottom tunnel, I fillet some of the more exposed formers too, especially that last 1/2" near the cowl seam of F-1 & F-2, it seems to help a lot with the separation that can happen there over time. (especially if you get a little ham fisted and overly aggressive jamming in a tank shim,  HB~> )

EricV

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
I do internal fillets the demo is in my videos

AMA 12366