News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:25:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Covering Material  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Covering Material
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »
Keep the laughter down, this is a real question.  What do we cover our planes with now?  I am back in after about 30 years and have my next creation to the point I need to cover it.  So I go to what calls itself a hobby shop and ask where they keep the Silkspan.  When they asked me "What do you use it for?" I knew I was in trouble.  So what are we using these days?

Is Dope still used?  The finishes I see out there sure aren't dope but I did see cans of AeroGloss at the same place.

Thanks (I can hear you laughing.....)

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Covering Material
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:52:56 PM »

Ken, I still use dope on my models as well as Krylon and wally world paints, After I paint them I spray Dupli color wheel clear per the instructions on the wheel clear, there is a new covering called Doctor paper, if you ask here on stunt hanger someone can tell you where to get it, it shrinks just like the silk span of old and clear dope will adhere it as well as seal it.

Hope that this helps...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
I've been using UltraCoat, but I'm past due to change over to polyspan & dope.

Then there's this stuff.

If you're interested in a good, rather than a great, finish, then you can do pretty darned well with UltraCoat.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »
There is a covering called Thermal Span.  Similar to polyspan but it has no grain.  It is as strong in the chord-wise direction as the span-wise direction.  Polyspan can be torn if pulled in the chord-wise direction.

Like polyspan, Thermal Span has an outer surface and an inner surface and heat is used to shrink it.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »
Stuff you used to use may have changed for the worse. If you used Mono Kote in the old days, you will like Ultracote. If you used silkspan, you will like Polyspan once you get used to it. If you liked Aero Gloss, as I did, you are in for some disappointment. Randolph or Brodak is OK. Search for advice by Bill Byles on dope: he’s the authority.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »
Hello.
I had the same experience a few years ago after a 15 year break.
To cover your models you can use what you used in the past with the same qualities and defects (in addition you can try some news that the guys have recommended)
In some cases, as Howard says, the quality could be diminished.
I would not worry much about the reaction they had in the hobby shop, it seems that today (at least from where I come) no one builds a model anymore.

Massimo

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »

I would not worry much about the reaction they had in the hobby shop, it seems that today (at least from where I come) no one builds a model anymore.

Massimo

I do worry about the reaction but have resigned myself that there is little we can do to change it.  We lost our only true Hobby Shop to a freeway expansion where they literally put the expansion down the center of the shop and only compensated him for 1/2 of his building then rezoned the rest.  My guess is that he didn't have a very good lawyer but, bottom line, we lost our last true Hobby Shop where you could get everything you needed to build a stunt ship.

With the BOM rule and no hobby shops selling the supplies for the "M" and a Millennium generation that thinks building is getting your dad to put something together made in China, where are the kids going to learn the life lessons we all learned as kids? Patience, perseverance, pride,  frustration, rebuilding you flight streak for the 5th time.  It is all gone and may never return.   
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
I do worry about the reaction but have resigned myself that there is little we can do to change it.  We lost our only true Hobby Shop to a freeway expansion where they literally put the expansion down the center of the shop and only compensated him for 1/2 of his building then rezoned the rest.  My guess is that he didn't have a very good lawyer but, bottom line, we lost our last true Hobby Shop where you could get everything you needed to build a stunt ship.

With the BOM rule and no hobby shops selling the supplies for the "M" and a Millennium generation that thinks building is getting your dad to put something together made in China, where are the kids going to learn the life lessons we all learned as kids? Patience, perseverance, pride,  frustration, rebuilding you flight streak for the 5th time.  It is all gone and may never return.   

Many people call all this progress.
Maybe once it would have been called decadence.

Regards, Massimo

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here