News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:05:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear topcoat in spray can  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clear topcoat in spray can
« on: May 31, 2017, 06:28:16 AM »
Since I do not have any spray equipment, I am looking for a good clear coat in a spray can to go over auto lacquer color finish.  Does anyone know of a good brand of this?

Thank you
Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Clear topcoat in spray can
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
Since I do not have any spray equipment, I am looking for a good clear coat in a spray can to go over auto lacquer color finish.  Does anyone know of a good brand of this?

Thank you
Mike

2K Spray Max aerosol can.

It's been talked to death on the Forum in plenty of places.

The price has been reduced by some suppliers, I've seen the high gloss on ebay for as low as 13.00 and change a short time back.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
2K Spray Max aerosol can.

It's been talked to death on the Forum in plenty of places.

The price has been reduced by some suppliers, I've seen the high gloss on ebay for as low as 13.00 and change a short time back.

CB

Thank you Charles.  I guess I missed that discussion somehow...

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
Thank you Charles.  I guess I missed that discussion somehow...

Mike

Mike,

I apologize if my mentioning that this product has been talked to death seems a bit sharp.

Nothing was intended other than it's been talked to death. So forgive me.

I only use the product outside with a quality 3M mask.

Has a nice wide spray and goes on great.

Someone in the Forum introduced it to me, I can never remember who? Forgive me again.

I tried it and have now used it on all my models.

It has other uses also, like redoing fogged headlight covers. I just did mine on my Tuscon.

I also just purchased a can of semi-gloss for the Stuka Tank Buster. The semi-gloss or semi-matt is pricy.

If you use it, let me know.

CB
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:58:49 PM »
Charles

that would be me.   H^^

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
Charles

that would be me.   H^^

Carl

Carl,

Yes, you are correct!

Carl, I cannot thank you enough for that information.

I've said this many times, I started using auto 2 part clears as far back as the early 80's on all my R/C pattern Ships, customers models also.

I shot all paint and clears through professional spray equipment. I no longer have access to this kind of equipment and have absolutely no interest in purchasing any of this equipment. 

So, with the use of simple aerosol cans for some colors and the air brush for other colors, I get the job done.

I get the job done using absolutely no color dope either.  ;D

Sure, there's plenty of advantages using a paint you can mix and applying it with professional equipment, but for an old washed out hack like me, I'll stay with the simple process I'm using and "Carl's 2K Clear."

I even paint my models outside.

Works for me!

Thank you Carl.  H^^

Here's the ARGO, International, 007 Spectre.

All aerosol cans and "Carl's 2K Clear!"

CB

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
I have used rattle can Minwax clear before and worked very well, and is also fuel proof. Black can, and does not yellow. I have it over mine and the white is as white as the day I applied it.

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:32:14 PM »
Thanks much Charles.

I have been using that 2k clear now for about 6 yrs if not longer.
It does go on nicely, dries crystal clear and is good and fuel proof to at least 65% nitro. ( I know, I run boats using 65% fuel and it laughs at the fuel)

Carl
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »
I have used rattle can Minwax clear before and worked very well, and is also fuel proof. Black can, and does not yellow. I have it over mine and the white is as white as the day I applied it.

Sorry for replying to the old post but I need to know it the MinWax Black Can you used was the Lacquer.  I need something to seal the ink lines over monocoat.  I tried the Balck Can Lacquer and it worked perfectly but was not even close to fuel proof after 4 days.  Is this the wrong stuff or do I need to let it dry more?  Thanks

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 10:13:26 PM »

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:42:55 PM »
Mr. Chancey, do you use this on your 1/2A models? It doesn't  go on the little guys too heavy?

If this is true, you may have just changed my finishing methods!

Thanks in advance,

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here