News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:13:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear dope stored in metal cans goes dark amber?  (Read 807 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clear dope stored in metal cans goes dark amber?
« on: September 11, 2020, 06:10:20 PM »
I have a question for the group about clear dope that has been stored for some time in sealed metal cans going dark amber in color. The dope seems to work fine, flows out nice and dries solid. I had some other dope from this same batch that I had in a glass jar that sat on the shelf just about the same amount of time and it is only straw colored. Both were about 7yrs old. Anybody come across this with clear dope? Could the cans be reacting with the dope giving that darker color (almost like it kinda rusted and dissolved into the dope?

Best,    DennisT

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clear dope stored in metal cans goes dark amber?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
I can only say I've never had an issue with Sig Light Coat turning rust. The other brand I have is rust colored.  But I can always use that for building up the substrate before the color, then never buy it again.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:19:29 AM by kevin king »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
I have a question for the group about clear dope that has been stored for some time in sealed metal cans going dark amber in color. The dope seems to work fine, flows out nice and dries solid. I had some other dope from this same batch that I had in a glass jar that sat on the shelf just about the same amount of time and it is only straw colored. Both were about 7yrs old. Anybody come across this with clear dope? Could the cans be reacting with the dope giving that darker color (almost like it kinda rusted and dissolved into the dope?

Best,    DennisT

It sounds like you decanted it from a larger container? If so it may be the can you put it in. I think they treat the inside of the can with some kind of coating to prevent the can from rusting and that may be what you see?
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
I’m pretty sure its rust. It gets worse in partially full cans (more air). Once a can is opened, I store the remainder in glass jars with PTFE seals (McMaster Carr). Tried HDPE jars/bottles and they crack over time.

NormF - 60+ years, sniffing dope

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here