News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear coating decals: don't ask me how I know this...  (Read 686 times)

Offline bill bischoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clear coating decals: don't ask me how I know this...
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
I just learned (the hard way) about clear coating decals and stickers. I am using Major Decals pressure sensitive stickers and water slide decals, and clear coating with Brodak butyrate clear. The water slide decals are extremely sensitive about being coated too wet. I thought I was being extra careful about spraying light dry coats, but it still wrinkled the decals. The problem is the clear attacking the decal substrate, not the paint colors. I was able to remove the affected decals, and replaced them with pressure sensitive stickers. The pressure sensitive stickers are very tolerant of wet coats. The clear softens the paint on the stickers, and will smear if touched when wet, but does not attack the sticker material in any way. I hope that the clear will stay adhered and not peel off in a few months, but it looks like the stickers saved the day for now. Time will tell. I hope others can learn from my mistake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Clear coating decals: don't ask me how I know this...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
Yea, I've used both dope and acrylic clear over decals. The problem I get is laying the clear on too heavy make the ink bleed or blur over time if you go to heavy. I quit using the Krylon clear acrylic with the UV protection. Whatever they put in there causes a blur of the colors. The standard stuff seems to work fine, though.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Clear coating decals: don't ask me how I know this...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
 That's a bummer Bill, no April Fools joke?

It's always a roll of the dice putting clear dope over these types of graphics. This is all very do-able but you have to be very careful through the entire process. I still take a big deep breath (a lot of them actually) before that first shot of clear over graphics.

I've used Major Decals many times with no problems. To me they are definitely more tolerant than the standard vinyl "sign shop" stuff which I use a lot of too. I always spray at least a good 5 or 6 coats of clear on "dry" with those being only to the point where you can barely even tell your putting any clear on. Good lighting helps a lot with this so that you can look at reflections to judge how heavy your getting. More of those dry coats is even better, but you also have to find the right balance to retain a smooth finish too. Then after that you want to only slightly increase the "wetness" with each of the following coats. It's not easy, but you have to be patient and let things dry completely between coats. I've never wet sanded or rubbed out a model BTW. I spray and build up my clearcoats until I'm happy, let it dry, and I'm done.

On the Zero that I recently finished I used vinyl for the "meatballs". Everything seemed perfectly fine through the whole clearcoating process. At the end I laid the final two coats of clear on heavier than I ever had before. It all looked good, but then two weeks later one of the fuselage "meatballs" developed a slight bubble and distortion around part of the bottom side near the wing fillet area (Where the clear would have naturally ended up being the thickest).
 I figure that what happened is the clear had dried on top, skinned you could say, but was still actually soft deep underneath. It took two weeks, but the chemicals must have still been busy under there and they finally attacked the vinyl. One edge of the decal even started to come loose. Luckily I was able to rub and press it back down with my thumb each day for a week or so and it finally stayed stuck along that edge again. Once it stayed down I just dabbed a little clear over that edge that had loosened up to seal it. The defect is still there, but it's not super noticeable. I got real lucky there, but now at least I've got a good reference point for what I can get away with.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here