News:

• May 05, 2024, 10:04:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rebuild, refinish on Sky Streak  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rebuild, refinish on Sky Streak
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
The Sky Streak as published November, 2011 in Flying Models didn't come out with a very pretty scheme (seemed like a good idea at the time  :-[  ).  Well it suffered a number of mishaps, some mischance, some my lousy flying.  Anyway, here it is rebuilt and refinished.   Black Monokote, Black Painters' Choice rattlecan on the fuse and tail.  Trim Monokote for the deco.  It needed tailweight, so substituting Monokote for the Coverlite should not cause much weight penalty.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Rebuild, refinish on Sky Streak
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
Larry,

No kidding, I like the model! It's a work of art.

That orange one in your avatar, is that the same model or another?

I admire individual modelers who think outside of the circle.

Kudos!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
Larry,

I meant to ask, is that your design or plans?

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
Hi Larry,

Like the post over in 1/2A (I think) I like what you have done with the refinish/repair.  I like this rendition much more than the original scheme. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
The model is my original design, the third in a series.  My avatar is the second, named "Frite Streak".  That one is powered by a Black Widow reed engine, and has one trophy to its credit, a first place at Woodland, CA.  An interesting flight as I got permission to do refulings, and it took two.  The flight had 1 second to spare when I landed.  Brett Buck was the crew chief!  Thanks again Brett!

The curren version is powered by an AP Wasp .061, and was published in Flying Models November 2011.  Plans available from the magazine, and a short kit from rsmdistribution.com.

There have been two models built from this design by other people, both of them electric powered.  Successful flights both. Rumors have it that a humongous .70 powered scale up is in the works back East.

I had in mind to do the scheme in Da-glo green, orange and red, and my wife thinks I should have gone for it!  I do plan to put a couple of Da-glo green "recycle" emblems on the bottom of the wings.

VD~

DesignMan

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »
Larry,

Interesting and well thought out model. Thanks for that info.

First place in what catagory?

Charles

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:47:15 PM »
The Black Widow model took a first in 1/2A stunt.  The new one has had placings at various levels in 1cc stunt at contests at both Whittier Narrows and Sepulveda Basin (Knights of the Round Circle and Valley Circle Burners contests).  The model has trophied with at least 3 pilots flying it.  The damage that I had to repair was in no way related to the design or flying characteristics.  Bad Karma and bad flying were the causes.   ::)

DesignMan

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »
Larry,

Did you actually start this design using a Flite Streak kit?

Or did you scratch build it?

How about that CG?  Trial n error, or did you do the math?

Charles

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
I have been building forward swept models of various types since I saw Larry Scarinzi's Streak published in Model Airplane News in the mid 50's.  I have probably done a dozen or more C/L sport wings, and two kitted Slope Soaring FSW models under the name Toucan ( Google that for information ).  I even built a couple of rubber band powered indoor models in that configuration ( All of them flew just fine)

The Lightning Streak (Brodak, Not Flite Streak) was a chance source to build something interesting from a kit I won at a raffle. It worked so well, I built the Black Widow version, and after that proved competitive, I built the final (so far) version, the Sky Streak.  A quick search on this forum will yield a lot of information about it, and the ones that have been built by others.

Rumor has it that a huge vesion may surface out east.  My lips are sealed.... VD~

Small engines and forward sweep are my "THING"!  y1

As far as CGis concered, it is easy to calculate the MAC and then spot about 10% chord.  That is a very safe location, and then you can trim from there.  There are a few MAC calc programs readily available on the web and they are easy to use.   As a final check, I just swing the unpowered model around on a tether, and if it tracks true, rather than bucking, it is close to OK.

This isn't even Model Rocket Science.

DesignMan

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »
Larry,

Thanks for that info.

The design is interesting and I bet they fly well. Tight corners?

You would think more swept forward wing models would be made.

A building and flying challange.

Hey! Don't you just love it when the crowd gathers around your model rather than around others that are typical?

Thinking out of the circle, great!

Charles

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »
The corners can be very tight when the CG is in the right place.  The first flights were with it too far forward (SAFE!), and it would hardly turn at all.  Moving it back slowly has resulted in a totally competitive design.  Smooth level flight, hard corners, no bobble on exit.   ;D

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here