News:

• April 24, 2024, 10:28:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear coat vs luster kote for top coat  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clear coat vs luster kote for top coat
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »
Guys,
Am starting to finish a new OTS ship that will be dye silk with a clear coat. I plan on using Brodak base and color dope. For the final clear coat I am considering either Luster kote or auto multi part clear coat. What I am looking for is a top coat that is fuel proof to 15% nitro and has a descent gloss. I'm not sure if there is that much of an advantage (if any) to the auto clear coat at up to 15% nitro. What's been your experience?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Clear coat vs luster kote for top coat
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »
Dennis,

I used to do gold leaf lettering and stripes on firetrucks.

I know that Dupont made a clear coat that was used on firetrucks. This clear coating withstood extreme heat and had great chemical resistance.

I haven't used Dupont products in a few years so I cannot help you with the product name, part number, offer a better description or offer more information.

My only suggestion would be to do a search for companies who build and paint firetrucks. I'm sure they will tell you what is currently being used, if they still use a clear coat over colored paint.

The products could still be available and probably with improvment.

Might be worth the shot.

I hope this helps.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Caution is urged with the LustreKote. It might well work but is clearly (!) worth a test on something other than your model. Like all rattle-can paints you simply cannot shake the can too much!

Too bad we lost master painter Walt Prey. I've often wondered if he used clear on those Top Fuel drag cars he painted and what it might have been if he did.

Dan
Dan Rutherford

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:26:14 AM »
My biggest complaints with Lusterkote was that it had a shelf life on a model and then it turned into allagator skin like Aero Gloss clear does.

I try to avoid clear dope not because it doesn't work but I have limited spraying capacity and I'm also much too lazy to want to spend my life rubbing out and polishing dope, no matter how great it looks when your done.

So now I'm negotiating with a car paint shop , the owner being an acquaintance of mine. It is better for me to pay someone to spray automotive clearcoat on my models then for me to kill myself in persuit of the mindless shiney finish that is the holy grail of stunt.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
So now I'm negotiating with a car paint shop , the owner being an acquaintance of mine. It is better for me to pay someone to spray automotive clearcoat on my models then for me to kill myself in persuit of the mindless shiney finish that is the holy grail of stunt.

Gee,

Didn't Avaiojet suggest this months ago?

Kudos to you.

I have excellent spray abilities, in fact, professional. But, that was then and this is now.

I have a shop I'm working with also!

Not bad advice if I do say so myself!

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
Just don't let some people know about that if you do.   I know people that have hired or let people clear coat their planes.   But, if the finish it goes over is not perfect it will show.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
Just don't let some people know about that if you do.   I know people that have hired or let people clear coat their planes.   But, if the finish it goes over is not perfect it will show.   H^^

John,

Correct! And sometimes, a clear coat, will bring out imperfections even more.

I don't expect to be that fyssy with my CL models as I was with my R/C models. I'm older and have nothing to prove.

Besides, I like wood grain. Stain it and keep it natural. ;D

Charles

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »
Guys,
I have not had problems with Luster Kote clear over Luster Kote color (as a matter of fact you need to put clear of the LK red or it turns black if in the sun to much). But I also have not had experience with auto clearcoat over dope. I will do a test but have heard that LK goes over dope without a problem.

Dennis - did you use it over dope - which type?

The thing I don't like about having anyone put on the clear is they will usually put on to heavy a coat.

Best,            DennisT

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »

As to having someone paint your stuff. It pays to know the guy and also to know how skilled he is with a spray gun. My friend has painted all of his life and does it for a living. Add to the fact that he is also a modeller and knows what is needed and it becomes a no brainer. That still doesn't mean that it is going to be a cheap paint job. It goes at shop pricing.

Dennis

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
My experience with Luster Kote is that it fades quite easily in direct sunlight....especially the black.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:41:26 PM »
Dennis,

My guy can paint really well. Restoration shops generally find themselves spraying all kinds of things besides just the outside body of a car or truck.

My deal goes like this. Shop lets me know when they will be spraying clear, I bring the model in, set it up and they shoot the thing while they are spraying whatever it is they are spraying!

20 bucks! It's like I'm buying the rest of the clear they would be throwing out.

They will paint my colors also.

Been saying this since I first arrived in CL la la land. Glad to see you have something set up with a spray guy for your clear coat.

I'll post photos.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags: paint 

Advertise Here