News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suggestions Needed  (Read 827 times)

Online Bruce Guertin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Suggestions Needed
« on: May 30, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »
Okay. So I have this ARF Nobler I am trying to install a Tom Morris control system in. My method of using the old lead outs to pull the new lead outs in failed. I'm left with a Monokoted wing with no lead outs in it.

I used Monokote in the distant past but, always as an installation and never removed it. How do I remove the old stuff?

I have some new yellow Monokote here and I think if I can remove the wing tip covering to get the lead outs fished through I can then just have yellow wingtips. The airplane might not look to bad that way. Plus I won't have a lot of time into an airplane that is going to suffer some mishaps.

On the other hand the wing to fuselage joint is not very well done and there are a lot of gaps. I could just strip the whole darn thing, fix those gaps, and go to Dove Gray wing and stab, and a Red fuselage.

What say you?
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects

Tom Vieira

Re: Suggestions Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
that's a bummer, man....  i fought stupidly hard to get my new leadouts through.  took a few hours, but worked.

maybe you could use music wire from the end in?  it'd bite to remove all the old covering.  but to remove, just start getting it warm and start peeling.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
Okay. So I have this ARF Nobler I am trying to install a Tom Morris control system in. My method of using the old lead outs to pull the new lead outs in failed. I'm left with a Monokoted wing with no lead outs in it.

I used Monokote in the distant past but, always as an installation and never removed it. How do I remove the old stuff?

I have some new yellow Monokote here and I think if I can remove the wing tip covering to get the lead outs fished through I can then just have yellow wingtips. The airplane might not look to bad that way. Plus I won't have a lot of time into an airplane that is going to suffer some mishaps.

On the other hand the wing to fuselage joint is not very well done and there are a lot of gaps. I could just strip the whole darn thing, fix those gaps, and go to Dove Gray wing and stab, and a Red fuselage.

What say you?
I have used two methods to get new wires in.  First is the music wire already suggested and probably best, unless you don't have any wire!   The other is to tac glue a length of sewing thread to a piece of wire, or something heavy that will fit through the leadout tube.  Small finishing nails work.  Put the wing on end and slowly lower the thread till you can get it through.

Or just strip the wing...  The Monokote on mine was really stuck down.  Hard to get off with an iron but fairly easy with a heat gun.

Congratulations on changing the controls before you had to rebuild it from the crash.  If you got a straight wing, you are going to like it when you get it into the air.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Bruce Guertin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:43:24 PM »
Things look pretty straight on this. The woodwork joints look pretty good and the fits are really tight where I can see it. I can see where there are lasered lines for the assemblers to place the parts. it's better than I would have thought it would be.

The control system was really Mickey Mouse though. I've devised a way to get the Morris bell crank suspended as it was meant to be.

If I have a complaint about this ARF, it's the covering. I don't know what they do on weekends in China but, I think the covering girl must have done this on a Monday morning.

Thanks for the fish line suggestion I'm going to try that now.
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »
Things look pretty straight on this. The woodwork joints look pretty good and the fits are really tight where I can see it. I can see where there are lasered lines for the assemblers to place the parts. it's better than I would have thought it would be.

The control system was really Mickey Mouse though. I've devised a way to get the Morris bell crank suspended as it was meant to be.

If I have a complaint about this ARF, it's the covering. I don't know what they do on weekends in China but, I think the covering girl must have done this on a Monday morning.

Thanks for the fish line suggestion I'm going to try that now.
I must have gotten a Wednesday morning one because my covering was really good.  If you are going IC make doubly sure you have sealed all of the edges where crud can get under the monokote with something like z-poxy.    I only had about 50 flights on mine when I converted it to electric and the nose was soaked in places where I didn't even know there were places and it showed no outward signs.  Make sure you cut some strips and seal around the LE both wing and stab.  Looks crummy up close but from 5' you can't tell.

One more thing if it is not too late.  You have probably noticed by now that those Maple motor mounts are not really Maple.  I put a 1/8" plywood top on mine to help with the vibration and covered everything that was not blue with z-poxy.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Bruce Guertin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
Well, I got it done. I remembered I had a fresh pack of .040 tig wire from my last header project. I used some of my wife's thread to zap to the tig wire (after I threaded the it into the wing of course) and to the lead out cable. Pulled through just fine and was small enough to get through the lead out tube. I'd forgotten how quick CA can glue fingers together.

Anyway, there are going to be some modifications to make this control system to work as intended. The airfoil isn't all that deep so there's not much working room. The factor access hole is a little small for my fingers. It'll need to be made bigger.

I'm still thinking about re-covering though.
Bruce Guertin

AMA 12403

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »
Ive used some really small diameter  music wire and fed it down to the center of the wing. Small wire is really flexible and is easy to manipulate it through the rib holes. Of course you have your your lead out attached to the end of that wire and when it reaches the center simply pull it through to the center and repeat for the other lead.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here