News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vinyl material to do Stencils  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Vinyl material to do Stencils
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:17:12 PM »
 Is there a vinyl material with low tack for doing stencils for model airplanes? I would like to paint some numbers in place of using vinyl stickers, like my AMA number.
                                                                                                                                                                            Juan         

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Vinyl material to do Stencils
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:46:57 PM »
are you planning on hand cutting your stencils or having them cut for you?
I use a product called MacTac, it is a frisket material designed for painting and cutting on a CNC cutter.
you can find other products as well, Avery makes a mask film, as does Gerber, I just prefer the Mac Tac product

I know a lot of people use regular sign vinyl for masking but I do NOT nor will I, it raises potential problems with solvents wicking under the edge and causing problems as well as a greater risk of the adhesive transfering to the surface requireing cleanign with a solvent  to remove it. I have never had this problem with MacTac.
it was refered to me by Alan Resinger
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
  Thanks Mark for the tip,I want a tried an true masking material as I don`t want residue or the tape lifting the paint. I have vinyl sign material but it stick real good and I`m afraid it will do damage to my plane after I have done a lot of work in it. I will search the net for it. thanks again.

Ps. Where do you get it,what size/cost and part number or description.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Juan
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:33:41 AM by Juan Valentin »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »
 Thanks Mark for the tip,I want a tried an true masking material as I don`t want residue or the tape lifting the paint. I have vinyl sign material but it stick real good and I`m afraid it will do damage to my plane after I have done a lot of work in it. I will search the net for it. thanks again.

Ps. Where do you get it,what size/cost and part number or description.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Juan

Juan,

You mentioned vinyl stickers for your Mustang, where did you get them?

Walk into your local sign shop and tell them what you have in mind. They may have in stock masking material.

If not, there's a supplier on the island. A guess.

If the paint is applied properly, you won't need low tack.

Remember, with a mask, it's only the edge that gets burnished.

BTW. I send graphics and masks all over the world.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »

Juan
here is my source, I use the 8448 not the glass etching product

http://www.signsupply.com/Vinyl/MacTac/MacTac_Index.asp

and charles, you can have problems with paint lifting even if it is applied correctly, now that said, its true your chances of success are FAR greater if things are done right, but that is no garauntee of success, you can do everything right and still have problems, its the law of paintwork
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here