News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:04:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can tack cloth be reused?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Can tack cloth be reused?
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
I found many posts that say you should use a tack cloth, but I didn't find an answer to my question.

No instructions came with the tack cloths I bought, so I was wondering if a tack cloth can be washed and reused, or if they are one use and then throw it away.

Thanks,

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Can tack cloth be reused?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »
I use them for a while, just refold it to an unused portion.  I doubt washing/rinsing would have much effect.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:50:35 AM »

Good advice above.  y1

I use them and refold as necessary until they don't seem to pick up dust anymore. Used sensibly on small projects like our models this gets you a LOT of use out of just one cloth. I've had the same one for a really long time and keep it stored in a Tupperware sandwich container. Washing them is not a good idea, you'll trash it.

A very important detail is like Ty says, don't get aggressive with them. If you haven't had your hands on one you'll see why as soon as you do, they are heavily impregnated with wax. The best routine is to basically just let the weight of the cloth itself drag over the surface, keeping in mind that they are only intended to pick up small particles and dust.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 07:47:02 AM »
Thanks, everybody.   This is most helpful.

Joe Ed Pederson

Online Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 07:01:24 PM »
I can confirm what Wayne's said, I put too much pressure when first using a tack cloth and wow, it make a mess! I ended up with a streaky clear coat from it.

I keep mine for a while and try as hard as I can to keep it from touching anything other than a surface I'm about to paint. then it goes back in a ziploc bag.

I tend to do it last thing before shooting paint, so prep wash BEFORE you tack rag then gently drape the tack rag over the surface to pick up and fluff or dust from the prepwashing.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:19:30 PM »

I keep mine for a while and try as hard as I can to keep it from touching anything other than a surface I'm about to paint. then it goes back in a ziploc bag.

I tend to do it last thing before shooting paint, so prep wash BEFORE you tack rag then gently drape the tack rag over the surface to pick up and fluff or dust from the prepwashing.

More good advice.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »
For get the tack cloth.  Get a good vacuum cleaner with a brush.  Especially if you use iron on coverings. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:28:28 AM »
The use of tack cloths appears to have originally come from the furniture manufacturing industry where most finishes are petroleum-based as is paraffin wax found on tack cloths. The iron on covering procedures recommend thoroughly vacuuming using a soft brush with no mention of using a tack cloth. Is there a concern the wax in the tack cloth could rub off onto the surface preventing good iron-on heat adhesion? Additionally, I don't recall seeing much mention of using tack cloths by the model paint manufacturers even though the paints contain solvent-based thinners. Will Acetone break down and emulsify the wax affording the perfect adhesion we want? It sounds risky especially after putting hours in preparing the perfect surface for the finish. I know everything is about technique but a risk is a risk. Thoughts???

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 10:30:54 AM »
Well as my dear Dad used to tell me, "Learn from other peoples mistakes or learn from experience".  I have never used tach cloths.  Usually or once in awhile I may spray a cloth with Wndex. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 09:38:37 AM »
Additionally, I don't recall seeing much mention of using tack cloths by the model paint manufacturers even though the paints contain solvent-based thinners.??

Steve

I found a reference for using a tack cloth in the old Top Flite produced video on applying Monokote.  It is as the 7:22 minute point on the video.

Now, that's Monokote and not paint, but I also found the suggestion to use a tack cloth prior to spraying the color dope at the very top of the first column on page 10 (counting the front cover as page 1) in the Finishng and Painting Your Airplaneby John Brodak which they sell for $10.99.

It was on the basis of these two references that I bought a tack cloth.  I can't remember any other references.

It would be interesting to have guidance from the Randolph Dope company, since I've read that Randolph actually makes the dope for Brodak and Sig.  Perhaps Randolph does give guidance in its instructions for use of its certified dopes on real airplanes.  (I can't imagine using a tack cloth on the entire wing of a Piper Cub, though.)  I'll check Randolph's website later to see if they post any instructions on the use of their dopes.

EDIT:  I found the book Procedure Manual 101 for Ceconite in the list of things you would need on page 5 near the top of the second column it reads • "Tack cloths - for cleaning just before painting."   In the list of things you would need are Randolph Nitrate and butyrate dope.   https://www.conaircraft.com/download-manuals.

Here was something else in the manual I thought interesting:
"Each Coat is Applied as a “Cross Coat”
Because dope is so low in solids, it needs to be sprayed as a cross coat. A cross coat is simply two passes of the gun 90 degrees to each other. Said simpler, one coat north and south, followed by another east and west. That makes one cross coat. The time between the two passes is not particularly important; if one dries before the other, no big deal. A dope cross coat is about equal to the thickness of one pass of other paints; so don’t get hung up on weight or thickness."

Joe Ed Pederson
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:07:05 PM by Joe Ed Pederson »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here