News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Butyrate Dope + metal flakes  (Read 856 times)

Offline Chris Fretz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Butyrate Dope + metal flakes
« on: January 25, 2020, 11:53:44 AM »
So has anyone ever tried putting automotive metal flake into Butyrate Dope? Does it work?  If so is there anywhere to get affordable metal flake? Paint shops are pretty expensive for the stuff. 
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Offline Dick Carville

• Lieutenant
Re: Butyrate Dope + metal flakes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
Used metal flake may times no issues. Just need to use care to spray evenly.  You do need quite a few coats of clear to berry  it

Try a company called "Paint with Perl"  Lots of colors and price not sky high.

Dick

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
   There was a guy who we would see at the SIG contest each year who was from the Des Moines, Iowa area that had great finishes on his models and used just about everything under the sun. I believe his name was Sam Scirata, and might have the spelling of his last name wrong. he worked in the custom auto painting business and had access to all kinds of stuff, including ground glass that he would add to some models. They were dazzling to see in the sun shine. The biggest concern as I remember was that it was impossible to get a light finish this way because as was already mentioned, it takes a lot of clear to make all of this work. To get the flake and other stuff to spray, you need a big gin, and that means a lot of paint goes down just to carry the additives, and then add in the clear. I don't think Sam ever had a model that weighed less than 72 ounces or more and these were all ST.60 and tuned pipe ships. Shooting dope this way wouldn't be too different from regular lacquer I would think since they are from the same family of paints. You could keep it to a minimum by just applying it to trim colors and such. What Sam was using was 30 some odd years ago technology, and maybe there is something new out there to try these days. Good luck with it!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »
TCP Global will have what you need:  https://tcpglobal.com/pages/custom-shop-flakes

Using the smallest size will obviously result in using less paint to get a smooth finish over the top of the flake.

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 12:57:43 AM »
  I found if I shoot the preferred color (red ) on the area or part then put a small amount of red flake in some clear , shoot it over the red . It will make the red part explode in the sunlight. No clear is required to smooth things over. I tried to shoot a heavy cover coat of flake with out color first & it took a ton of clear filler to smooth things out. Ruined the plane.
  Best of luck.  John

Offline Chris Fretz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 03:35:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I'll try a couple small areas.
Formerly known as #Liner
AMA 1104207
Advanced

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »
  I found if I shoot the preferred color (red ) on the area or part then put a small amount of red flake in some clear , shoot it over the red . It will make the red part explode in the sunlight. No clear is required to smooth things over. I tried to shoot a heavy cover coat of flake with out color first & it took a ton of clear filler to smooth things out. Ruined the plane.
  Best of luck.  John

John has had some really cool sparkly planes.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 02:12:21 PM »
   Key word . had. I'm putting the sparkles in the bottom shelve for a while. Solid colors for me after this one I'm finishing now.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 03:45:20 PM »
Not back to the light blue, I hope.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 07:36:20 PM »
  How'ed you guess ? My new plane is  just that.  I'll show you in May.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here