News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:14:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Tinted Clear Dope  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Brodak Tinted Clear Dope
« on: October 24, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
  Well, I opened my most recent can of Brodak clear, poured out some for thinning and was surprised that it had a rusty red tint to it.  I called Brodak and was told by a gentleman by the name of Tom that they had gotten their last drum in (He said that it was from Certified) and noticed the same thing; nice that Brodak didn't let me know.  I stated that although it was probable okay for finishing, there was no way that I would use it for my final top coat.  His solution was for me to use the Brodak Crystal Clear, to which I replied that was not an option due to the high cost.  I looked at both the Certifed and Randolph dopes sold by Aircraft Spruce and saw only blue and tan tinted dopes.  Things don't make sense, and believe that a change is in order.  I would like to try Randolph dopes, but do know if there are compatibility issues with Brodak dopes, as well as using my 3608S thinner with it. Any thoughts would be welcomed.  By the way, Randolph dopes are substantially cheaper than Brodak.  Don't bother mentioning Sig; as usual, they are out with clear currently on back order.

Best regards,Brew

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:42:19 PM by Harold Brewer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Brodak Tinted Clear Dope
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »
If its just the top coats that are the problem for the moment ,
the big cans of dupli colour CLEAR spray well ( ussually  :-X a few breaks & shakes - > to avoid splatter  >:( might be needed )
and seem rather fuel proof , after a few weeks cure .

Ive thrown colour dupli coat & auto lacquer in the clear dope we get here ( Pheonix )  to give a bit of depth to the colour ,
with no issues , done right in the right proportion with metalics , you could try for semi translucent . Differant colour base coats
get a far out multi colour affect in differant light .

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »

...I would like to try Randolph dopes, but do know if there are compatibility issues with Brodak dopes...

Not true. For quite some time now I've been using Randolph and Brodak back and forth and over and under each other and mixing every which way you can think of with no problems whatsoever. I also use Randolph thinner for everything, including thinning Brodak dope (which BTW, is Randolph).
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 02:59:30 PM »
  Well, I opened my most recent can of Brodak clear, poured out some for thinning and was surprised that it had a rusty red tint to it.  I called Brodak and was told by a gentleman by the name of Tom that they had gotten their last drum in (He said that it was from Certified) and noticed the same thing; nice that Brodak didn't let me know.  I stated that although it was probable okay for finishing, there was no way that I would use it for my final top coat.  His solution was for me to use the Brodak Crystal Clear, to which I replied that was not an option due to the high cost.  I looked at both the Certifed and Randolph dopes sold by Aircraft Spruce and saw only blue and tan tinted dopes.  Things don't make sense, and believe that a change is in order.  I would like to try Randolph dopes, but do know if there are compatibility issues with Brodak dopes, as well as using my 3608S thinner with it. Any thoughts would be welcomed.  By the way, Randolph dopes are substantially cheaper than Brodak.  Don't bother mentioning Sig; as usual, they are out with clear currently on back order.

Best regards,Brew

Randolf does make and sell a very clear, butyrate, non—tautening dope through Aircraft Spruce.  For some reason they just don’t show it in the ads.  You can enter that in the search bar and it will come up.  It’s about the same cost as the tinted.  I’m going to it hoping it’s not quite as heavy as Certified.  They have a ton more fill in it than others.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
Warbird is correct.  I have also used Randolph thinner for Brodak dope, applied Randolph over Brodak, and vice versa.  No compatibility issues.

The Randolph non-tautening butyrate clear is item number A-1690, quart can.  I do not know if larger sizes (gallons) have a different item number.  I get Randolph products from a local aircraft supply place.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:17:11 AM »
Doing a clear finish over dyed silkspan. What is the difference between the Brodak crystal clear dope vs Randolph 1690 clear? Cost of the Brodak is twice that of Randolph. If you use the Randolph do you need to add flex all? Is it worth paying the extra $ for the Brodak Crystal Clear, does it not yellow?

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:40:19 AM by Dennis Toth »

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »
I would avoid the Brodak Crystal Clear dope.  Although it is "clear" (no amber tint) it has zero fuel resistance.  Any fuel on it will immediately take away the gloss.  Also, I have had the Brodak Crystal Clear turn an ugly brown after sitting for several months.  It was clear when I first opened it.  Then, I capped it, stored it for future use, and several months later it had turned brown.  I did not take a chance on using it and discarded it.

I use the Randolph non-tautening clear for everything, even final clear coat.  I never added flex-all.  If there is a difference between the Randolph clear and the Brodak crystal clear, it is that there might be a slight tint to the Randolph.  The fuel resistance of the Randolph is better than the Brodak Crystal Clear.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
I would avoid the Brodak Crystal Clear dope.  Although it is "clear" (no amber tint) it has zero fuel resistance.  Any fuel on it will immediately take away the gloss.

I haven't had that problem.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 11:35:59 PM »
Sig Lite Cote is the only dope product I will use as the top coat on a stunt plane. Sig does run out of it time to time. But that's why I order 6 quarts. It's  my belief that it's the clearest, most fuel resistant dope of all other clear dopes period.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:40:47 AM by kevin king »

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
Sig Lite Cote is the only product I will use on a stunt plane. Sig does run out of it time to time. But that's why I order 6 quarts. It's  my belief that it's the clearest, and has the most fuel resistance of all other clear dopes period.

+1. it buffs the best of the clears I've used too.
AMA 76478

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 09:54:24 AM »
im confused....Windy Urtnowsky has used the brodak dope from start to finish and not had a problem with the clear cote not being fuel proof...i dont think he uses more than 10% nitro...the crystal clear is the same as the other clear it just doesnt have the tint added to it.   he also waxes his planes so it helps im sure.  we use buy clear dope from the airport and never had a problem with it being fuel proof...
AMA 21449

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »
Maybe Windy was very careful regarding raw fuel dripping on his planes.  My experience with dope is that is has minimal fuel resistance.  It does not matter what brand.  The only difference is some might be a bit more resistant but in no way are any of them fuel proof.  It is not only the nitro.  The methanol is just as hard on dope.  And, ordinary rubbing alcohol will attack dope.

I have no idea if wax improves things to any degree as I have never tried it.

The old Aero Gloss dope had pretty good fuel resistance but I do not think the chemistry of it was the same as today's butyrate dope.  The old Aero Gloss was pre-EPA so that might explain things.  Maybe regulations have also forced changes to butyrate dope chemistry, thus reducing the fuel resistance.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 10:52:02 PM »
The old Aero Gloss dope had pretty good fuel resistance but I do not think the chemistry of it was the same as today's butyrate dope. 

Acrylic lacquer - it smells *exactly like automotive touch-up paint*.

Brett

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 06:30:55 AM »

My experience with the Brodak" Crystal Clear" is that if raw fuel gets on it, it will dull right away. Here of late the regular Brodak clear butyrate has a brown tint to it right out of the can.....Gene

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here