News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak dope on an aluminum spinner  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Ron Vargo

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Brodak dope on an aluminum spinner
« on: November 03, 2021, 04:22:26 PM »
Hey guys just returning to the CL Circle.  I haven’t painted with dope in a while.   Does anyone know if dope can be painted directly on an aluminum spinner or do I need etching  primer first    Thx

Offline Ron Vargo

• 21 supporter
  • New Pilot
Re: Brodak dope on an aluminum spinner
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 05:47:48 PM »
Thx for the tip

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 12:18:34 PM »
Ron,

One of our top builders/finishers did a write up on painting an aluminum spinner
in Stunt News, sometime before it was discontinued (I sure miss it).  I'm sorry,
but I don't remember what issue that was in, but perhaps this will jog someone's
memory that is better than mine.

A dope finish will obviously not last long if an electric starter is used, so I hope you
are a "hand starter".

It would be useful to "the hanger" if you would report back on your findings.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 01:42:07 PM »
Here's two spinners I painted on two models I designed from scratch.

Both models have a "Build" and the spinner painting detail is included in the "Builds." I think.

I believe the "Builds" are over at CFC Graphics in the vendor's corner.

Be advised there are tricks and shortcuts.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
With an aluminum spinner why is this any different from regular auto body painting? Seems if you use prep with reasonable surface prep (like sanding with 600) then prime and paint, clear coat (with death paint) just like a car? don't use electric starter and should be good to go.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 03:03:21 PM »
With an aluminum spinner why is this any different from regular auto body painting? Seems if you use prep with reasonable surface prep (like sanding with 600) then prime and paint, clear coat (with death paint) just like a car? don't use electric starter and should be good to go.

Best,    DennisT

I wouldn't trust 600, but that's me. especially with a taped multi colored spinner which represents something. In my case, an actual aircraft. You also have to keep paint off the backplate where it meets the spinner and I don't paint the inside hole for the spinner nut.

Do this right and you won't have to sand the paint for a perfect chipless fit. I love saving steps.

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »

Best,    DennisT

Aluminum is constantly oxidizing, never stops, and will cause paint to flake all by itself. That is why you use an etching primer to help with adhesion. A good scuffing on bare aluminum will help with straight paint of any kind. A visit to a store that sells aircraft painting supplies will have what you need. I have never tried to buy it at an auto paint store but they may have it.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 04:58:12 PM »
   Aluminum is constantly oxidizing, never stops, and will cause paint to flake all by itself. That is why you use an etching primer to help with adhesion. A good scuffing on bare aluminum will help with straight paint of any kind. A visit to a store that sells aircraft painting supplies will have what you need. I have never tried to buy it at an auto paint store but they may have it.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Thank you, very important, real zinc chromate primer. I don't remember where I purchased mine but, it's available in aerosol cans.

A quick call to your local airport paint shop could get you a free can and these guys have this stuff around for small jobs. They will tell you where to get it.

Real aircraft supply stores

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
The easiest and least expensive would be DupliColor Self Etching Primer #1690 available in spray cans at O'Reilly Auto parts stores. I believe it's $7.00 a can. It is the light olive green color. Clean first, sand with 400 for some "tooth", spray 2 coats, let dry overnight, sand with 400 or 600 before you put your color on.
I used this product in 2004 as primer on aluminum race car trailer fenders before single stage black, to this day, still there, except the black is somewhat faded since it sits in the sun all day.
Realized I forgot something, in using this paint, make sure you spray it outside, if in a closed in area, you may feel some burning in the eyes, it has some type of acid in it, hence, etching primer
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 08:02:30 AM by Jerry Rauch »

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 08:32:08 AM »
i have painted a lot of aluminum parts for rc helicopters like tail boom and skids and would glass bead the part  and then use an etch primer.I never had it peel off and it took a lot of beating..
AMA 21449

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 10:28:32 AM »
     As an additional bit of information, epoxy primer seems to stick to bare aluminum pretty well, but for some reason, the color over the primer seems to have significantly reduced adhesion. Normally, epoxy paint over epoxy primer cannot be removed without sanding them both off, but over aluminum, it seems to affect the bond between the layers, and I have had it peel the color away from the primer, leaving the primer intact.

I have no idea why this happens but its very consistent. Otherwise, the paint sequence is the same as the rest of the airplane, and done at the same time, so the aluminum must be causing it somehow. I have just been being careful and repairing it when necessary, but have been looking for other solutions, like etching primer.

Brett

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 03:44:16 PM »
Reply #9 from Jerry Rauch is spot on.
Remember that if you wish to match a color and tone, the undercoat colors must also be the same.
Here’s a Veco Alum spinner.  Randolph dope, auto urethane top clear coat

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here