Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bondo  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bondo
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
I am about to make my first stab at using Bondo Fiberglass Resin. ~^  Is there anything I need to know that is not on the can?  Realistically, how soon can I sand it and will MonoKote stick?  Any pre-treatment for carbon fiber veil? Search was not much help.  Maybe someone has a link to a video or something. :!

Thanks - Ken 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bondo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
If you're meaning Bondo auto body putty...I'd say very emphatically: DON'T! It's heavy and not a good match to the hardness of balsa, so sanding will become a problem. Personally, I don't like anything based on polyester resin and opt for epoxy stuff. Epoxy has less smell, longer working time, longer shelf life, more reliable, etc.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:02:24 PM »
If you're meaning Bondo auto body putty...I'd say very emphatically: DON'T! It's heavy and not a good match to the hardness of balsa, so sanding will become a problem. Personally, I don't like anything based on polyester resin and opt for epoxy stuff. Epoxy has less smell, longer working time, longer shelf life, more reliable, etc.   H^^ Steve
Nope, it is the fiberglass resin.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:27:46 AM »
I've only used fiberglass resin with Micro-balloons for making fillets, and drying/curing time depends on how much activator is added, usually an hour or two.  When it's no longer tacky it's ready to sand.  I've only used it with an epoxy paint finish, so I don't know how it works with other finish materials.

Don

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »
Ken,
Fiberglass resin is either polyester or vinylester resin.  Not sure what you are doing but sounds like you are getting ready to finish a model and are trying to prep the wood nefore covering and finishing.   I would highly reccomend using epoxy finishinf resin for the job.  Zap makes a good epoxy finishing resin that a lot of top flyers and finishrs use.  Stay away from polyester resins inless you are finishing boats.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
I would also echo Alans recommendation to use Zap Zpoxy it's just a joy to work with. That being said I think the usual way to stick down CF vail is to paint on 2 coats of 50/50 nitrate then brush the vail down with thinner. With polyester resin I've never had any luck getting the right amount of hardener to control the pot life. Usually sets up way too quick and sometimes it cures gummy. YMMV

Motorman 8)   
Would lacquer work in place of nitrate?   Part of the reason to go electric was to eliminate dope from finishing.  My wife is allergic to the smell.  She can handle Lacquer, which is actually worse smelling...go figure.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 07:09:07 AM »
Bondo/polyester resin smell is horrible, much worse than dope.

Try a sample using MINWAX water based poylurethane. I know it works well with glass cloth or silkspan.

Good description of non-dope finishing here:

http://www.flystunt.com/2014/01/28/a-modern-model-finish/
MAAC 8177

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here