News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not how but when.  (Read 833 times)

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Not how but when.
« on: August 06, 2020, 05:26:50 AM »
I'm ready for trim colors. After spraying when is the best time to remove the trim tape? Right away, never, after a couple hours? Using butyrate dope in south Louisiana.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Online Perry Rose

• Admiral
Re: Not how but when.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
I slopped on some paint this morning and started removing the masking material right away. After that I tackled the fine line tape. It came off easily leaving a nice clean line. So to answer my question, about 30 minutes of drying time is enough to remove the trim tape. I will do it again tomorrow.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 01:27:28 PM »
I slopped on some paint this morning and started removing the masking material right away. After that I tackled the fine line tape. It came off easily leaving a nice clean line. So to answer my question, about 30 minutes of drying time is enough to remove the trim tape. I will do it again tomorrow.

Not all paints or the mix of paint react the same.

Here's a trick.

You can sand the paint off the tape before you pull it. Good for areas where there's considerable or unnecessary build up.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »
   I do it fairly soon, and make sure I pull the tape almost 180 back on itself also.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »
Are dew points and humidity ever low enough in Louisiana so that you can use dope and not have it blush?

Online Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 06:52:08 AM »
Are dew points and humidity ever low enough in Louisiana so that you can use dope and not have it blush?
There was one day a few months ago that was dry enough to spray clear outside without blushing. But that was unusual. I run two a window a/c units and a dehumidifier when spraying clear.

Online Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 05:16:26 AM »
I finished the trim paint without a problem. There were a few spray leaks under the masking hold down tape but I was able to clean that with  "Q" tips and denatured alcohol.   I used to use masking paper on a roll but the last roll had some spots with holes. That's how I found the denatured alcohol trick. I searched my brain and came up with a new masking material. Newspaper bags. My paper comes in a plastic bag every day. I save them and cut them open for use. The bags have printing on one side, I keep the printing side out. Then I got some truck side steps that were packaged in large plastic bags and they work just as well but are a bit thicker. Iron on covering has the backing sheet that works well also.

Online Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
Another first for me. I had a lot of space on the wing bottom so I tried my hand at a checkerboard. Not bad for a first time.  Not good enough to be on the top of the wing though. www.perrystoys.blogspot.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here