News:

• May 21, 2024, 11:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Candy Apple colors  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Candy Apple colors
« on: November 27, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
Anyone have any experience with CA colors from Brodaks?

Anything to share?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
Re: Candy Apple colors
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
Yes. I painted my P-Force with Brodak Gold, over which I sprayed Brodak "Candy Red". I left trim, cockpit, and lettering in gold. The original final color was a very dark metallic red. Over limited flying/exposure during a four year period it faded very badly so that parts were back to being gold in places. I think that a season of flying full-time would have pretty much eliminated the red. Randy Ryan and Dave Heinzman had similar experiences with "candy" colors. I do not know what effect a solar-barrier clear coat would have had. I've obtained some "fade proof" ink to mix in clear for the next try.

SK

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
I'm not sure of the "candy color" effect they would have, but I use a lot of aniline dye for "see-through" colors on guitars for those who want to see the beautiful grain but still have a color other than the wood.

I think if one would spray the base color of gold or silver first and then use the dye in a clear they would do quite well, and I suspect they would rather fade free.  Anyone out there used them for candy apple before?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
Hi Paul,

I have not had any experience with the Brodak candy colors.  Those I have seen others use have all faded.

I did use House of Kolors automotive lacquer Candy paint.   It was great, never faded, and is no longer available!

If you want to try true Candy colors, Duplicolor has a lacquer based system call "Metal Cast".  It is meant to mimic anodized aluminum.  On my Tomahawk I used the gold base and Red over coat.  It works just like true Candy lacquer from days gone by.  And you can overcoat with clear dope, or urethane 2 part.

Remember, Candy paint is the hardest paint to use.  You must really be careful of not "streaking" the color.  A little practice and it will all be OK.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »
Thanks guys for the input.

Think I'm going to K.I.S. this paint job.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:31:06 PM »
Candy is a tint and relies on the undercoat. In apple red's case, you shoot gold then candy red on top to get candy apple red. House of Kolor still sells candy concentrates (Kandy Koncentrate). You can add it to clear to get the candy tint. I've used it a lot with no problems with fading in the sun. You get different effects depending on undercoat. I shot a plane with 3 different undercoat colors (two colors of metallic charcoal and metallic bronze) then shot two different candies over it (apple red and cobalt blue) I ended up with a 6 color plane. From pink to red to orange and from deep blue to purple. It's a fun process.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 12:17:35 AM »
My current stunter is candy apple red and I've done a few guitars in candy colours over the years. As Bill correctly warns, candy colours are the hardest to do. Any scratches, dust or flaws in the metallic base coat will be magnified greatly and patchiness in the candy coat is painfully obvious.

It's also potentially twice as heavy as a one-layer colour. Especially so when you realise it looks better the more you add!

And then there's the fading...
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here