News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:03:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best Color for a (Profile) Canopy?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Best Color for a (Profile) Canopy?
« on: October 16, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
Strictly aesthetics, no right or wrong answer: What's the best (most realistic) color to paint a canopy on a profile?

Say you build a Sig Twister and paint it with the color scheme shown on the box, but choose your own color for the canopy area …

TIA!

Dennis

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Best Color for a (Profile) Canopy?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 12:53:35 AM »
If you are painting the plane red with black trim, then I agree with Ty. Pale blue or French gray with white highlights. I'd paint a red canopy frame somewhere in there too, just to give some more interest.  Another alternative is a smoke gray if you can mix up something like that. On full sized planes, a bubble canopy like the one on the Akro is a real sauna, so guys tend to use pretty heavily dyed plexiglass. That is not really much of a disadvantage, since they aren't flown at night much.

I also use black sometimes, but your base color is already pretty dark, and your trim is black, so I don't think that combination works as well.

I personally don't like the way white or silver looks for canopies.

Good luck with yours!

Dave

PS--You didn't mention what your paint system is going to be. So I will throw in a random comment:  If you are using rattle can paint, such as Rustoleum, I have had good luck painting the basic canopy and then just misting the edges with the highlight color. (For example, red plane, black canopy, silver highlight.) I have also mixed Rustoleum by spraying two different colors into cups, mixing until I liked the shade, thinning and then airbrushing the canopy and highlight. Just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. The hardest part for me is knowing when to stop adding highlight....a little bit more is not always better!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 06:04:24 AM »
For a model that has many colors, white works well.

Black with a silver perimeter always works well no matter what color the model is.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »
It really depends on the color of the rest of the plane, and your own sense of aesthetics.  Well, and if you live in Portland or Seattle it's unrealistic to paint it blue -- gray is sky color around here.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
The bluest sky you've ever seen is in Seattle! Right before it turns grey, of course. It's the moisture in the atmosphere that makes it appear as blue. The more moisture, the bluer it looks. Hmmm, I was expecting a spelling error signal there...the red swiggly line under the woid.

Lots of airplanes have smoked plexiglass windows, so I'd say a nice smoke color. That's grey. I'm not so sure about the highlighting idea. Could easily be overdone, and likely to be in the wrong places.  n1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 10:25:48 AM »
A very pale blue, like a faded sky blue, with white highlights. D>K
Good Idea!  It was gray auto primer before it was blue.  The gray was good, the blue better.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here