Building Tips and technical articles. > Paint and finishing

Best 'sport' paint job over wood

(1/4) > >>

Tim Wescott:
Yea, there is no 'best' if it's a sport job, but here's my thinking:

I'm building a half-A flat-wing plane; something that'll go together quickly, fly nicely, and won't make me cry if the winter winds smite it.  I'm primarily interested in a paint job that'll keep the fuel and rain off, but something that looks good would be a very big plus.

Right now I'm looking at doing what I know, which is multiple coats of sanding sealer with lots of sanding in between, or cover the whole thing in tissue as a first step, then sanding sealer, hopefully many fewer coats, for a lighter quicker finish.

I'm not looking for a mirror finish -- I can guarantee you that this plane has lost all possible appearance contests and it isn't even built yet.

Suggestions?  What's worked for you?

Randy Powell:
Dope and silkspan, filler coat (usually dope and talc). Sand to make you happy then shoot on Rustoleum or similar color coats.

An alternative (and probably less time consuming) would be to use finishing resin. Paint it on the bare wood and wipe it off with a paper towel till the surface looks dry. After the resin is dry, sand lightly and shoot some primer on it. Sand till you're happy then shoot on rattle can color (Rustoleum or similar). Should be fairly fuel resistant. And don't paint it white if you're flying in the snow.   ;D

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Randy Powell on January 05, 2010, 11:11:13 PM ---And don't paint it white if you're flying in the snow.   ;D

--- End quote ---
I live in western Oregon.  We don't get snow -- just rain and mud.

Clint Ormosen:
Quick-N-Dirty way to finish. 2 coats clear dope, sand fuzz off, one good coat of color epoxy paint (Klass Kote, or K&B). Trim colors if you must. Done! Go fly.

Randy Powell:
>>I live in western Oregon.  We don't get snow -- just rain and mud.<<

Then stay away from Brown.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version