News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:30:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attaching a pre doped wing?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Chris_Burgess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Attaching a pre doped wing?
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
 I'm sure this has already been addressed in the past and if that's the case I'm sorry for the repeat, but how does someone go about doping and silkspanning a wing and then attaching it to the fuselage?

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Attaching a pre doped wing?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »
I assume you are talking about a built up fuselage. If so, my method is to complete the wing but not cover it. I bring the fuselage sides in from the wing tips and build the fuselage around the wing. I have to cut slots in the fuselage sides to clear the flap horn wires, but that's easy to fill with scrap balsa. Some will cut the fuselage sides to allow the wing to be mounted from the bottom of the fuselage, but I've never had good luck with that method. After blocking up the fuselage sides, I epoxy strips of light weight fiberglass to the inside fuselage/wing juncture. I never cover the wing prior to completing the model because I always manage to punch holes in it.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
Not sure what specific you want to know.  Crist Rigotti joins wing halves with silkspan and then that covered section is glued in.  He has a few build thread doing similar with built and profile fuselages.  You can start here -

https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/2013-electric-stunter-a-build-log/msg277767/#msg277767

Fred

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:01 AM »
I'm sure this has already been addressed in the past and if that's the case I'm sorry for the repeat, but how does someone go about doping and silkspanning a wing and then attaching it to the fuselage?

I am assuming you are asking about the type of glue?  Everyone has their own preference, but once I have the wing aligned, I tack it in place with CA, then check the alignment again, when I'm satisfied its good I use 30 minute epoxy inside and outside the joint.  It doesn't matter whether its raw wood or already covered, this works for either case.  I am basing this statement on the fact that I have built planes both ways and after hundreds of flights the wings are still attached (so far)!   Good luck.

Don

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »
If the wing has only the dope layers necessary to get covering applied, OK to glue to that.  If you want to do any additional doping before installing wing in fuse, mask off the gluing areas to prevent further build up. Then you can easily remove the tape along with dope buildup..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:37:13 AM »
I have always covered my wings before installing them in fuselages. I dope them sufficiently to adhere the silkspan (in my case) and then leave the center alone. It can have noticeable dope build-up on the center surfaces, but I always leave it rougher in texture than the exposed areas. I use 30-minute epoxy. In my earthly encounters (enough to know), there has never been even a crack in this area. When cutting a wing from a crashed profile, I had to work very hard to get the remaining balsa off of that root joint. It may not be intuitively obvious, but applying your covering first, overlapped at the wing's center (root) area, and then attaching the wing to the fuselage works fine, will not fail, and is the best way to insure that you have no root breakages in flight - or crashes.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
My big 60 and pipe ships were in silver before I glued the wings in, no problem with adhesion after 1500/2000 flights and 27 or so years.
Chris...

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »
My big 60 and pipe ships were in silver before I glued the wings in, no problem with adhesion after 1500/2000 flights and 27 or so years.
Chris...

Chris,

Maybe it is time you built something new!  LL~ LL~ VD~
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here