News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AeroGloss 4 oz bottle caps  (Read 904 times)

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
AeroGloss 4 oz bottle caps
« on: June 03, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
Ok All,

This one will be odd. Maybe you can pass this one by the food canner in your family.

My old collection of AeroGloss dopes is in peril! Each bottle that I open is usable for a period of time. They are kept in the garage since my wife is "allergic" to the smells.

The seals get broken upon opening. Sometimes the waxy inner seal tears. Other older ones have the metalized carboard seal.
I hope to order new seals and/or lids for the jars. However, I don't know the lid sizing system.

If you know the size, then I can order new seals or lids.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:28:01 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
Re: AsroGloss 4 oz bottle caps
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »
Years ago, I had a similar problem with dope storage. Seals would disintegrate, lids would rust, dope dried up etc., so I ordered some glass jars from McMaster Carr. These have phenolic lids and Teflon seals. Ended the problem, but at a price $$$! You might be able to cut new seals from HDPE and save your original lids (maybe margarine tub lids).

Norm

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:32:43 PM »
Do the SIG lids fit? If you call Sig, and don't mention AeroGloss, they might hook you up with some lids. Same with Brodak. The Badger 250-4 airbrush bottle and lid are the same size also, and can be purchased as replacement parts. FWIW, maybe you could put aluminum foil over the jars before screwing the lids on. Cheap and easily replaceable...

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:50:48 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you.

I guess I should have indicated these are 4 oz jars.

The plastic/hdpe idea may work. I'm afraid the aluminum foil will tear.

Testing to begin tomorrow night using HDPE. A pattern can be made in a jiffy, and the appropriate plastic cut with sharp scissors.

Hmmm. What around the house is HDPE?

Again, thanks.
I will contact Sig and Brodak to see what size and source for their bottles. They must buy in bulk and pay Oompa Loompas on staff to ladle out into the small bottles...

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
You might be able to cut new seals from HDPE...

Thank you, Norm. 1 gallon milk jugs are HDPE. I cut gaskets out of the flattest portions, which yielded about 10 pieces. The first lid had that satisfying smoosh to it as I twisted the lid in place.
Testing will begin on a bottle of thinner to see if it evaporates in the sun. If no loss of thinner, then more will be made to replace my most damaged lids.

FWIW...Sig said they will email an offer for 24 lids. Brodak said they don't carry that size anymore.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here