News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Randofill?  (Read 502 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Anyone have experience with Randofill?
« on: March 23, 2023, 02:45:15 PM »
Just looking to see if it has a place on stunt models. Would like to hear your experiences, pluses, minuses or opinions.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
Re: Anyone have experience with Randofill?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 03:12:41 PM »
I've used a lot of Stits Poly-Spray silver on real aircraft many years ago.  It appears the Rand-O-Fill is simply a non-tautening Butyrate dope with silver as a UV protectant, same as the Poly-Spray silver.  I have never used the Randolph silver, though.  I assume that it is similar to the Poly-Spray in that it serves the same purpose.  Might make a good basecoat for filling and smoothing minor imperfections before the colors.  Or you could simply use it as a silver color.  I also expect it is high solids and will add weight quickly.

But no personal experience with it, so I probably shouldn't have replied at all.  But since I typed, it, it's as easy to hit "post" as it is to delete it.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 02:29:35 AM »
I appreciate it anyway Miotch.  H^^

The reason i bought it was i never liked pouring off the top 1/3rd of a quart can of silver dope into the toilet to decant it. So i was thinking its better to add some of this Randofill instead. Its almost as thick as paste and there would be Less waste.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 08:23:37 AM »
Well, except for the price, there's no downside to trying it.  And none of us might ever know until you try.  I think you would find it useful to have around if you build a lot, anyway.  I used the Stits silver on a few model planes as a kid when my dad had some around.  None of those planes lasted long enough for me to actually tell if it were fuel proof or not, though.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 01:38:54 PM »
Miotch, I'm just trying the Randofill for the under coats so it doesnt need to be fuel proof. I need to find a replacement for the Sig silver in these 'Life after Sig days', and i happened to have this Randofill. Mix 4oz per gallon in clear butyrate  dope. It should work. Im just using it to highlight the defects, so most will be sanded off then sealed with a coat of primer.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here