News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone have any experience of both these airbrushes  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Mike Quinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Anyone have any experience of both these airbrushes
« on: May 23, 2022, 05:32:47 AM »
Hi

I don’t want to clog up Bretts Klasskote thread so thought I’d ask on this one.

For spraying areas smaller then and entire wing/fuse/model I am weighing up these two based on Bretts thread and other forums.

For spraying dope (pretty much nitrate in the UK) or epoxies such as Klasskote or Oracolor (take out a mortgage for the last one) does anyone have any opinions on both of these.

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_9_47&products_id=13

https://airbrushes.com/product_info.php?cPath=400_403_1_118&products_id=860

So far I’ve managed with my HF HVLP type but it sprays an awful lot if you are doing smaller areas and detail work.

Cheers

Mike

Ps.  I’m thinking they are both the same but ones a bit pricier.  At my skill level I probably can’t tell the difference.  Lol, have I just answered my own question?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Anyone have any experience of both these airbrushes
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 11:51:31 AM »
Wanting to hear an answer on this myself!  There's a lot of "what airbrush should I use" sorts of questions out there.  I have a $10 Harbor Freight unit that has convinced me that (A) I want an airbrush, (B) I want a better airbrush, but (C) I don't need to run out and get one right now.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 12:00:59 PM »
... Neither is big enough to do an entire wing, assuming a 10" chord by 48 plus wing span ...

Well, Mike says this is for the little jobs.  I'm currently finishing up a scale plane that has six little bits (radio hatch, leadout guide block, tail weight hatch, tip weight hatch, two landing gear hold-downs).  The air brush is great for that, and for sealing the edges of masking tape with clear when I go to paint colors.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 06:17:26 PM »
I have a little Badger that I have used for years with success.  The key to any of these is, of course, a thorough cleaning after every use. D>K
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 09:38:58 PM »
The Paaxhe VL is a tried and true veteran, parts, needles and cones are available everywhere and they are a very reliable easy to use airbrush. The Iwata is a great piece, but for hobby use I dont know that you would get the benefit by spending the extra money.
I shot with a VL for a lot of years, then I went to a Vega, and from there now I have a very high end Iwata gravity feed airbrush that I LOVE LOVE LOVE, but it is a very expensive airbrush.
I would recomend the VL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Quinn

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 05:52:22 AM »
Hi

Yeah, you can certainly spend a bunch on this kit.  Which model Iwata are you using then?

Think I’ll go for the VL as it is.

Cheers

Mike

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »
I have the Iwata.  It does a pretty good job but like all of them,  need to be kept very clean and the dope (or whatever) thinned to water consistency.  I DO paint the entire airplane with them as far as colors go.  It can take over an hour to do a full coat but the final finish weighs less than half what a "belching" spray gun throws on. You have to refill the bottle quite a few times but once thinned it's amazing how little before-thinning dope you actually use.  I have gotten into the habit now of using a Prevail sprayer for the last heavier clear coats.  I like to airbrush on the first light coat of clear to lock down the colors, ink lines etc. before hitting it with the heavier spray.  My living arrangement doesn't allow me to have a big loud compressor or regular spray gun so I've adapted to these methods and it works OK for me.  I have the exact one in your picture above.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 02:33:08 PM »
Mike,
If you are looking for no fuse paint application method check ou the Preval System. They are more or less a throw-a-way spray system available on line or at many Big Box or hardware stores about $6 hold enough propellent for a two - three coats on a full size ship, 50/50 mix. 

Best,  DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here