News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:58:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dupont Thinner/reducer  (Read 10394 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dupont Thinner/reducer
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:31:25 PM »
Okay I have been searching for the 3608S Dupont Thinner that has been recommended on this site.  Have made phone calls and no one I've talked to has heard of it.   I've been using the Omni reducer that I use for the auto paint colors, but the last gallon I got was almost $50.00 plus tax.   Can the hardware lacquer thinners be used?   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dupont Thinner/reducer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:15:01 AM »
I get Universal thinner from my Randolph dealer.  They say it's half the price of Randolph and no different.   It work OK for me but not a master painter.

I looked at a gallon of lacquer thinner at Home Depot and the back of the can just said "acetone". 
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »
Whatever auto brand color paint your using, I would use only the recommended thinner of the same brand.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »
But, it's $40.00 a gallon.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
But, it's $40.00 a gallon.

John,

Yes, I know that stuff is expensive. But I wouldn't change brands.

Cost! Why do you think I'm experimenting with water base artist's paint and water base airbrush paint.

Unfortunately you have to push this stuff through an airbrush, but it covers well and I have paint left over.

20 bucks gets you the 2K auto clear out of an aerosol can. If you don't mind a tad more weight.

Check my models out, it's been working for me. I can live with a tad extra weight.

Now the ARGO II I'm giving some consideration to so I can avoid extra weight. I'm actually considering Fred Cesquim's covering system. Iron on then color then 2K auto clear.

I don't like dope anyway.

I'm looking in to Fred's system.

Works for Fred. I'll say!

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
Doc,
  Last time I bought 3608s it was 38.00, if I recall. Last September I bought 3602s(slower) it was 43.00. Not the savings we used to get with buying Dupont. I'm just going to use the Randolph in the future. I use Acetone or the cheap Home depot stuff for clean up only. Some people had good luck with Duplicolor Lacquer thinner at 17.00 a gallon. They have 2 kinds one says 100% Acetone the other just says lacquer thinner. Most of the big box store stuff is way too fast drying. I agree with the high end painters. go with the same as brand of paint. Really, with how much we use a  gallon goes pretty far when you're just thinning paint. When it was 5 bucks a gallon we didn't care and used it for clean up, etc.

Hope to meet you at Brodaks!

my two cents
Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
Just don't change thinners in mid-finish. It's just a bad idea.

Doc, you know my opinion on this stuff.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
John I've used this for years on Sig and Certified dopes and it works perfectly-

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »
I'm glad it works for you. But you are taking a chance. Paints are formulated to work with certain thinners, reducers or catalysts. You can vary from that, but you are taking a chance. Truth is, things can go sideways whey you do everything right, it's just not worth it to me to ignore what the manufacturer recommends.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
John I've used this for years on Sig and Certified dopes and it works perfectly-

Dave
I have said it over and over,, but still people insist that saving 10 bucks on thinner is justified,, Please,, just please dont
You spend hundreds of hours building this thing and then sacrifice it using cheap crap thinnner,, its just not worth the risk
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
Well, I went to the local NAPA dealer and had a talk with them.  Even picked up a couple of cans of the spray primer Sparky recommends.  I'm not to sure about it as I masked the Vagabond and sprayed the primer.  Any way bought a can of reducer that NAPA says is the equivalent to the Dupont stuff.  Have already tried it on a 1/2A plane.  Will let you all know the results.  By the way it was $25.00 a gallon and only comes in gallons.  Thanks to all the do gooders for protecting our health.  Also thanks for the replies gentlemen.   H^^

I see Mark was replying while I was cussing this key board.  Sorry I am not one of the guys looking for 20 point finishes.  The worst I ever got was 12 at VSC even after I hid the plane behind the bush. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 05:31:54 AM »
I sure do understand it's not wise to use a lousy product on your airplane.  That's silly.  But it's also silly to pay twice for a brand name when a generic works as well.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  The first time I'd ever have a problem I'd sure stop using a product.  In this case it's always worked very well.  I get around in my Pontiac pretty well although a Corvette might catch the girls eye a little more...This is a product that all evaporates away after its done its job getting the dope applied.  As long as it creates no issues of its own but does the job well then I'm not sure what else I could be looking for.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:32:49 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 06:15:32 AM »
Dave,

You have beautiful models, good color choices and thought out layouts.  H^^ H^^

What clear was used on the model in your photo and what was the clear reduced with?

Great pen lines also.

Charles

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 07:13:47 AM »
Thank you Charles.  The dope is Certified non- tautening clear throughout with Sig colors.  The reducer is the Kleen Strip shown.  I put a little retarder in the last clear coats.  It can be pretty humid here sometimes.

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
Shhhh!  Don't tell Mark or Randy, but I've been known to use that cheap thinner also.  I just bought some, $19.00 in this state.  Blushing and adhesion can be a problem.  At the first sign of a blush, use some retarder.  All of my dope is Randolph and retarder.  I also keep Randolph thinner in stock and use it a lot.

I don't recommend using this stuff unless you are willing to experiment a lot.  Sometimes it gives me a bad time and just gets used for clean up.
Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
Thank you Charles.  The dope is Certified non- tautening clear throughout with Sig colors.  The reducer is the Kleen Strip shown.  I put a little retarder in the last clear coats.  It can be pretty humid here sometimes.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for that info.

I'm guessing your models are electric.

Charles

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 10:54:12 AM »
Well I do use a battery- to start my RO Jett .76s.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
And Dave does some great finishes and so far my slimy hands have not bothered them..  I need to get with him more.  Bad when you live just a few miles from each other and only see each other at the field.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
Well I do use a battery- to start my RO Jett .76s.

Dave

Dave,

I asked about that because I was lead to believe models finished with dope weren't all that protected from fuel?

Charles

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 12:55:13 PM »
Charles I sort of thought that's where you were going.  Dope handles the spewed oil pretty well.  Fresh raw fuel is more of a challenge.  When you really clean off some of my cowlings- like with alcohol- there will be some white patches where raw fuel was splattered.  Wipe the spot with your oily rag and the white vanishes and it looks new again.  I do try to not get raw fuel splattered if possible.  I know Bill Werwage would spray on a little polyurethane just on the nose of his airplanes over the dope to protect them.  I've been thinking about doing that with my new ones.  Maybe I'll just grab a rattle can of it.  Not sure you can rub this out though.  That area might be a little more dull looking but completely fuel proof.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »
Charles I sort of thought that's where you were going.  Dope handles the spewed oil pretty well.  Fresh raw fuel is more of a challenge.  When you really clean off some of my cowlings- like with alcohol- there will be some white patches where raw fuel was splattered.  Wipe the spot with your oily rag and the white vanishes and it looks new again.  I do try to not get raw fuel splattered if possible.  I know Bill Werwage would spray on a little polyurethane just on the nose of his airplanes over the dope to protect them.  I've been thinking about doing that with my new ones.  Maybe I'll just grab a rattle can of it.  Not sure you can rub this out though.  That area might be a little more dull looking but completely fuel proof.

Dave

Dave,

Two part auto clear can be thinned to save weight and it can be cut and polished.

A little birdy told me that some use dope in areas where fuel isn't that prevalent and the two part clear in those trouble areas that get all the spent fuel.

That's more work than I would choose to put into a model I'll never compete with.

Your stab and elevator work, is that like your signature?

If so, I really like that look a great deal.

I remember you have a simialr model with shades of green. I would like to see that one again.

You do outstanding work.  H^^

I'm trying desperately to build lighter models.

Charles

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »
Yes the tail pinstripes are my signature.  The 2014 and 2015 Nats ships were both in the green.  I ruined the 2015 ship trying for a better finish- it weighs a ton.  I have this new red one and am finishing a new green one with better finish and a Bob Hunt foam wing,  the first Desperado so equipped.  Coming out better for weight. 

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
Yes the tail pinstripes are my signature.  The 2014 and 2015 Nats ships were both in the green.  I ruined the 2015 ship trying for a better finish- it weighs a ton.  I have this new red one and am finishing a new green one with better finish and a Bob Hunt foam wing,  the first Desperado so equipped.  Coming out better for weight. 

Dave

Dave,

I'm working on my signature.  LL~

Your outstanding Desperado in this photo, covered with what material?

Thanks,

Charles

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
Charles the open bay wings and stab/ elevator with the silkspan ( medium I judge) from Easy Built Models.  The flaps and fuselage with the last of my Sig light silkspan.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
            If inquiring about Dupont thinner, the brand name now is Cromax. The numerals have stayed the same 3608S.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:30 PM »
Dave, you can, of course, use whatever you want and if it works for you, that's great. I'll stick with the manufacturer's recommended products.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2016, 06:24:31 AM »
Oh of course Randy everyone has their own preferences.  That's true in most everything.  On the job I sell OEM parts or generic and people go both ways.  Same with going to the grocery store.  I'll only buy certain bread and Smart Balance but buy store brand coffee and veggies.   In this case I tried this long ago because the DuPont stuff was just not to be found in my area and I needed thinner.  It turned out to work fine on everything I tried.  Makes me wonder.... Manufacturers always recommend  'their'  accessories-  that's where the profit is.  I sell,  among other things,  over- the-range microwaves.  People are shocked to find that no matter what brand it is or how much they pay for it, they are ALL made in Indonesia by Daewoo.  So I wonder about thinner....it's good we have choices though.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:35:32 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
<snip>no matter what brand it is or how much they pay for it, they are ALL made in Indonesia by Daewoo.  So I wonder about thinner....it's good we have choices though.

Dave

Not a great analogy between microwaves and thinners.  I can tell you (& I have in several posts on this forum in the recent past) for sure that there are significant differences and reasons for those differences in thinners.  Often modelers get away with those differences because the size of the projects being finished are quite small compared to a full-size airplane or an overall refinish of an automobile.  And that's OK if it works for you, just be aware that there are real differences in thinners along with good reasons for those differences.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
Hi Bill.  I absolutely know you know what you are talking about and I'd defer to you on this subject.  I'm just saying this has worked out very well for me and costs a fraction of what I'd have to pay for the 'good' stuff.  Especially as I'd have to have it shipped to me with likely hazardous materials fees.  This can be had cheap and local.  Might be worth a try to some.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:04 AM »
Where can I buy Randolph products?  I want to try Randolph thinner for my Brodak paints; can no longer get 3608S here in the Noblesville, IN area.

H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
The stuff I got at the NAPA store is the replacement for the Dupont stuff.   I now have several coats of SIG Butyrate on the B-25 and it is working.   The NAPA primer takes getting used to.  Sanded first coat and then sprayed the second coat.  The stuff does sand easy, but I had to use a spray can handle to get the spray can to work.   Guess I'm getting weak in my old age. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 12:06:27 PM »
Mike

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
Harold...fortunately I have a dealer up in Dallas and we go there often visiting my daughter--- 2hrs one way

Their Gallon is $48 and most mail order places charge 25~35 bucks haz mat fee to ship a gallon on top of the normal shipping fee

here is the Randolph distributor list

http://www.randolphaircraft.com/distributors.html

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »
The stuff I got at the NAPA store is the replacement for the Dupont stuff.   I now have several coats of SIG Butyrate on the B-25 and it is working.   The NAPA primer takes getting used to.  Sanded first coat and then sprayed the second coat.  The stuff does sand easy, but I had to use a spray can handle to get the spray can to work.   Guess I'm getting weak in my old age. H^^

John,

That NAPA primer you're using, is it, as I call it, Robert's 540? Gray in color?

Robert said he uses about 4 cans for one of his large models. Obviously sanding most of it away.

Be interesting if you could weigh your model after all primer is applied, then weigh it again after the primer is thoroughly sanded.

I'll bet there's quite a difference. I try to do that but keep forgeting.

I use that handle thing also. I'm old too.

Charles

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 10:21:38 PM »
I buy 3608S at O'Riley auto parts ... they have Dupont auto paints .... sometimes they have to order it for me out of Dallas , but it only takes a day.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 09:48:36 AM »
Charles, I'm one of those that doesn't worry about weight when finishing.   I don't even strive for 20 point finishes.  Jim Lee said one it would be nice if I learned how to finish a plane.  Was always taught to build straight,  light and a good finish.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 11:26:43 AM »
Charles, I'm one of those that doesn't worry about weight when finishing.   I don't even strive for 20 point finishes.  Jim Lee said one it would be nice if I learned how to finish a plane.  Was always taught to build straight,  light and a good finish.

John,

I'm with you, and in all honesty, I look at the final clear coat as protection and nothing else.

How's your Imperial Ringmaster doing?

Charles

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »
Hey, it flies better than I do. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
Hmmmmm......talking about sitting on the fence...... ever since I saw Windy use 3608S thinner on his Concours winning Model airplanes including a 20 pointer, I decided it must be OK to use on my beaters. Then after talking to Bill B., Randy, and Mark, I got Randolph thinner to use with my Randolph dope on the models I really want to turn out well!  So now I use both!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Soukup

• New Pilot
  • 817-703-1491
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:10 AM »
DuPont has renamed their product line using the names of Cromax and Axalta.  Axalta 3608S and 3602S (slower, with retarder already mixed in) is what you should search for locally.  Neither of these are available in Calif.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here