News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternative Product to Dupont 8608-S Thinner?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Alternative Product to Dupont 8608-S Thinner?
« on: January 07, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »
I've been told that Dupont 8608-S Thinner is a good substitute for Brodak's Butyrate thinner (very expensive in my estimation) Is there another "brand" besides Dupont to use, as I've been told that the Dupont is not available in Pennsylvania? What else works with Brodak's Butyrate Dope? Thanks,PhillySkip

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Alternative Product to Dupont 8608-S Thinner?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »
There's two 8608 flavors -- one is more eco-friendly, and isn't friendly to Brodak dope.  One doesn't have the '-S' the other does.  I can't remember which is the right stuff -- hopefully someone will chime in.

If you're close to someplace that sells finishing supplies for full sized aircraft, Brodak dope is re-branded Randolph dope.  So the Randolph thinner should be just the ticket, and you can probably get it in 1-gallon or 5-gallon cans.  If they don't normally carry dope you may be able to sweet-talk them into it, or you may be able to find out who the local distributor is.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 09:55:35 PM »
As Tim suggested, if you have an aircraft supply business near you, get the Randolph thinner.  The Randolph brand now falls under the Consolidated Coatings name.  I guess I am lucky in that I have a place near me and they usually stock Randolph finishing products.  The Randolph thinner is compatible with Brodak dope. 

A gallon of the Randolph thinner is about $40 here.  I agree, Brodak thinner is quite expensive.  And so are the colors and clear.  I have also gone to buying the Randolph Insignia White and the non-tautening clear since I use more of those than any other.  Much cheaper to buy the Randolph product.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
Thanks for jumping in guys ,I appreciate the info.

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »
There is nothing wrong with Randolph colors too!  It is way less expensive than Brodak.  Notice I didn't say "cheaper", none of it is cheap!
Mike

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:54:09 PM »
  I think the DuPont number you are referring to should be 3608-S. I have used that in the past with SIG dope with good results. I haven't bought any recently, but hasn't DuPont sold that part of the company off? I think it is a different name these days. Do a search on "DuPont 3608-S" on the forums and see what comes up. Maybe even " dope thinners."
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:18:27 AM »
Dan I found the 3608-s not far away in NJ .$28/gal. I'm going to pick some up today....PhillySkip

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »
The main advantage to the Brodak thinner is gas off time. Windy worked with John B and Randolph to get the formula for model finishes. Windy did use the DuPont product with Sig dope and it would take two months to fully gas off so it could be buffed out (same with Sig thinner). With the Brodak thinner (even in the Sig dope) it was a week. I think the Randolph thinner may be the same but you may need to buy in 5 gal quantity to get a better price then the Brodak price.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »
We are fortunate to have a Randolph dealer here in town.  Seems to me that the price is about the same as http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/randbutythinner.php  Of course there will be some haz-mat shipping costs from Aircraft Spruce.

For substrate and build up I've been known to use Klean Strip or Lowe's house brand lacquer thinner.  They both work in butyrate as well as nitrate.  I don't trust it for colors and clear coats.  Also works fine for clean up.  Sig dope seems to be a different animal.  I've put Sig over Brodak dope and had some adhesion issues. 

While I appreciate Brodak's effort in the hobby I haven't bought any of their paint products for many years, only because of price.
Mike

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
               Dupont also changed the paint line from Dupont to Cromax. The 3608 -s designation is still the same. You don't want the VS.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:01:27 PM »
Ken using my new thinner I mixed up a qt of  sanding sealer last night. The moment I opened the materials to mix them up my wife came down to the shop ready to kick my butt. She's got a nose like one of those drug sniffing police dogs. Why don't they just understand.....?

Offline Tim Soukup

• New Pilot
  • 817-703-1491
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »
DuPont has renamed their products under the Cromax and Axalta labels.  Axalta has 3608S and 3602S (3602S has retarder already mixed in.  Neither product is cheap.  3608S is about $40/gal and 3602S is closer to $55/gal in 2019 prices.  These are the same products formerly marketed under the DuPont line.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 02:32:57 PM »
I used Randolph's thinner. about $25 a gallon locally.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here