News:

• May 13, 2024, 09:10:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aerogloss thinner?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Aerogloss thinner?
« on: September 22, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »
I have a couple of gallons of various Aerogloss dope colors of various ages.  Does anyone know of an available thinner which will work with Aerogloss?

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Aerogloss thinner?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »

Jim, I think that regular butyrate dope thinner will work. You might try a small amount ( one ounce) of dope, and add the thinner.
  Keep us posted...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »
I think the Aerogloss dope formulation changed one or more times during those years so thinner that works for one batch may be a disaster with another. At one time one could not apply Aerogloss over butyrate dope, later iterations went on just fine. It may require a lot of testing to get an answer. If the dope is post late 80's, your task should be easier. My first encounter with Aerogloss was about 1947. Found out right away it was "different"!
Don
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:01:17 PM by Don Hutchinson AMA5402 »

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:44:09 PM »
Dupont 3608 does'nt work.Just tried.I have some Brodak thinner to try next.
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
Aerogloss is MEK based so that may work.
AMA 12366

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
Aerogloss is MEK based so that may work.

Sparky,That just may work.I covered my homebuilt and several others with Stits Polyfiber products.They were MEK based.
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
Sparky,That just may work.I covered my homebuilt and several others with Stits Polyfiber products.They were MEK based.

Stits Polyfiber products are vinyl based (MEK is one of the solvents in their products), have no relationship to dope products, and are incompatible with dope of any sort.  Poly-Fiber materials cannot be mixed with nor applied either over or as a basecoat under any dope products.  MEK is used as a solvent in many covering/painting systems, is relatively fast evaporating but is much slower evaporating than acetone, and has more health hazard considerations than acetone.

For all that, MEK may well work as a thinner for Aerogloss.  

A few years ago Poly-Fiber offered a selection of dopes which were a good product, but discontinued their line of dopes after they bought Randolph products.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
GEE Bill,Thanx for pointing out all that other info...........I think I meant to say thinned........MEK is the ONLY product used to thin Polyfiber and not void the STC.

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »
GEE Bill,Thanx for pointing out all that other info...........I think I meant to say thinned........MEK is the ONLY product used to thin Polyfiber and not void the STC.

Under the Poly-Fiber STC the only thing that is thinned with MEK is the fabric adhesive Poly-Tak.  The Poly-Brush (used for the first coats on the bare fabric & for application of the dacron tapes), the Poly-Spray (the silver material used to block UV light), and Poly-Tone (the pigmented finish coats) are thinned with either R65-75 or RR8500 Poly-Fiber thinner, and BR8600 retarder can be added depending upon temperature & humidity.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here